The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Global Category Advice (4 posts)

1. johnnyv
    Posted 17 years ago #

Alright, I know this topic has been beaten to death, but this is more of an advice question than the standard "is there a hack" question. I've already got Jay's global category hack setup (this one), and I'm looking to force categories for members when they sign up. In other words, I want a default set of categories waiting for members when they sign up (to help with front page organization). My idea was simply to edit some code and have it automatically insert categories into the db for users when they register.

Is this likely to mess everything up? I'd just like (a) my category cloud to be nice and neat and (b) to have a set of default categories for the browsing from the main page.

Thoughts?

2. chmac
    Posted 16 years ago #

Just stumbling upon this thread now. Did you resolve the problem? How did you do that?

My suggestion would be to use a hook when a new blog is created and based on that, add some categories. I'd suggest using WordPress's built in functions [wp_insert_term() maybe] instead of SQL directly.

If you did find a solution and it still works with the most recent version of WPMU, would you be willing to post it here?

Cheers - Callum.

3. jackiedobson
    Posted 16 years ago #

May want to take a look at the /wp-includes/wpmu-functions.php file and see how mu sets up categories currently during a blog's setup and build on that.

4. frogger6
    Posted 16 years ago #

hello all.
    I'm attempting to set up global categories myself which the user/new blogger has to choose when signing up.

Has this been figured out? I'm sorta new to this, so if someone could point me in the right direction I'd appreciate it.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by johnnyv
  • Latest reply from frogger6