The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Blog creation problem (9 posts)

1. alexhilton
    Posted 17 years ago #

Firstly, I promise I have searched this forum and the trac but I can't find a reference to the problem, let alone a solution.

New installation of Mu on a clustered server (Mosso)

All looks well until I make a new blog

New blog exists on the db but not in practice. Trying to go to the blog return "server not found" message from browser.

Thoughts. Mosso says to use mod-rewrite for anything I want done in Apache. httaccess file contains some "rubbish" characters - those rectangular thingies - and I'm worried they are causing trouble.

Any help enormously and gratefully appreciated.

Regards,

Alex

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

My money is on the httaccess file being messed up. I have a feeling that you edited it within something like Word or Wordpad and saved it as something besides a standard text file. Those funny boxes are formatting commands from the program you used to save the file.

Best bet would be to copy over the htaccess.dist file as a new .htaccess file and see if that helps.

We don't mind folks asking questions if they're stuck or if they're having problems. Heck even I do it. Folks shouldn't be asking basic stuff though. "What's a datatbase?" "How do I edit a file?" "How do I do this?" Stuff like that's already been covered many time in the past.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

3. alexhilton
    Posted 17 years ago #

Really sorry about this.

I downloaded wpmu again

I found the download htaccess.dist still had the duff characters. However, I was going to paste the file here but this box fixed the characters - so I pasted it back into the htaccess.dist and the duff characters magically disappeared

So - I dropped the database tables, deleted all the wpmu files, re-uploaded all the files, installed and got the very same problem.

Any ideas?

:(

4. kodama
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm having a similar problem, though i'm not sure it's exactly the same or not...

I've been using WPMU for a while on my server without too much hassle - there are a couple of dozen blogs setup without issue. Though now I am unable to setup any more through my admin.

It appears to work: the new blog is listed with the others and I even get a confirmation email to tell me the blog has been created. But trying to access it through a browser just returns a "404 not found" error.

I have recently installed a newer version of WPMU, so my first instinct is that there is an issue there, though i'm not sure where to look.

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Alex, what program are you opening the file with?

kodama, check the wp_blogs tabel in your database and make sure the URLs are correct. And please start a new thread.

6. alexhilton
    Posted 17 years ago #

notepad

7. alexhilton
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thinking of going the subdirectories route instead of subdomains - to see if matters are happier that way

8. alexhilton
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have the distinctive feeling that I may have done something silly. I chmod 777 everything in the root(web) directory. It occurs to me that to create new blogs, stuff has to be written elsewhere. Is it poss there are some other directories to which I should apply 777? Or am I clutching at straws?

9. alexhilton
    Posted 17 years ago #

YESSS

Thanks for your help.

I couldn't get subdomains working but i could get mu running with subdirectories.

plebisit.com was in the db as com/plebisit a number of times. I dumped the db, replaced all the incorrect incidences, dropped all the tables and reimported my edited sql file and it seemed to fix everything

Many, many thanks - now how do I close this query?

(did i say thanks? btw)

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by alexhilton
  • Latest reply from alexhilton