The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Multiple blogs, one e-mail (WPMU 1.0) (7 posts)

1. kjatomic8
    Posted 17 years ago #

I need my students to create their blogs using my e-mail. So about 60 blogs for one e-mail. I need this so students won't be required to have an e-mail address.

I looked at old posts but I think they are for an older version of WPMU. Need help, quick.
    Thanks!

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Not sure what the exact issue would be. The email cheching you're looking at in another thread would probably be the issue when it was one blog per one email address.

The issue is that each user account is tied to a single email address and two account do not have the same email address. You can create the blogs yourself at Dashboard -> Site Amdin -> Blogs -> Bottom of the page. But they would be tied to your account and be given Site Admin access.

I really can't think of a way around this. You can use a second email address for a second account for yourself and create those accounts that way but they still would have access to each others accounts.

Only thing I can think of is creating accounts using dummy email addresses in the Dashboard -> Site Admin -> Users -> Bottom fo the page. If you yourself do it there, there's no checking on the email address that I know of, each student would have a seperate account, and they themselves or you could create their own blogs with those accounts.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

3. ekusteve
    Posted 17 years ago #

For what it's worth, I've faced this issue with other programs and what I've ended up doing is letting students use an email from my domain. For example, I have a cheap shared hosting account that allows unlimited email accounts. I don't create any email accounts, but have the master account set-up as a "catch-all" account. I tell my students to create their accounts by using [anything @ mydomain . whatever]

This allows them to use my system for the email address. Seems the same type of set-up should work with mu. Of course, the drawback here is that you would have to check the catch-all account and activate the accounts for your students, then get their usernames and passwords to them.

Not ideal, I realize, but this may be better than you having to create them all yourself.

Steve

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

I thought about the own domain as well but assumed that the poster was on a school domain where email addresses couldn't be given out to students.

5. kjatomic8
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks everyone for the responses. I am on my own domain (dreamhost), not the schools and therefore do have access to creating e-mails. I'm (at this very moment) looking at my Dreamhost dashboard to find out about the catch-all approach. I'll let you know what I find out.

~Kyle~

6. jimteacher
    Posted 17 years ago #

I found a way for you to setup student accounts by email. If you don't have gmail get an account. Use you gmail account + student name, ie. myname+studentname@gmail.com. The registration info is sent to your gmail so you can go through the setup process.

jimteacher

7. kjatomic8
    Posted 17 years ago #

Jim-
    I was able to use the catch-all feature with Dreamhost. This give me full control and moderation of blogs and comments. It might be a lot of work, but we'll see how it works. Check out my blog: thecorkboard.org/blog

~Kyle~

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by kjatomic8
  • Latest reply from kjatomic8