The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Widget themes comptabile for wpmu and language question (18 posts)

1. joseph21
    Posted 17 years ago #

I have downloaded the complete packaged widgeted theme packs but unsure of how to use it to be compatible with wpmu?

1. Do we only have to put all widget plugins into wp-content/plugins/widgets directory? and the widget themes in wp-content/themes?

2. Are there any other hardcoding needed to make it fully compatible?

3. If I install language xx_xx.mo into the wp-content/languages then is it going to be applied all throughout my clients? Can they change the language using the backend?

Thanks.

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

1) Widgets and the widget plugin should be in the mu-plugins subdirectory. That way they're on for all users. Themes go in the themes subdirectory.

2) Yes. Please look in the theme subforum for many discussions on specific themes. Please review the themes to see if the support for widgets are already there. Please test the themes to see if they work.

3) Please do a search for language as it's been discussed many times over. Please feel free to try.

3. joseph21
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sorry about that, I tried searching and could not find an answer to language (Question 3 post above).

I know themes should be placed in wp-content/themes but somehow it doesn't work for me. I logged into the backend but cannot find the new themes for me to choose. I have placed the widget plugin to wp-content/mu-plugins/widgets.

Thanks.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

You need to search for information on themes. They aren't just "drag and drop" in MU.

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

YOu need to activate the themes for your end users at Dashboard -> Site admin -> themes.

6. joseph21
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm getting this error below after I upload the widgets directory to both wp-content/plugins/widgets and wp-content/mu-plugins/widgets:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare register_sidebars() (previously declared in /home/username/public_html/test/wp-content/mu-plugins/widgets/widgets.php:22) in /home/username/public_html/test/wp-content/plugins/widgets/widgets.php on line 22

If I just upload the widget directory into mu-plugins then the widgets plugin will just be available to my clients?

7. joseph21
    Posted 17 years ago #

The themes that my client uses should be wpmu compatible? or can we use the default wordpress 1.5 - 2.1 themes for them?

8. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

"I'm getting this error below after I upload the widgets directory to both"

That's the exact problem. You uploaded it twice.

Mu-plugins are for things you want executed on every page load, every time, for everyone.

IMHO, placing the actual widgets plugin file inside the mu-plugins directory, and then making a widgets directory inside the plugins for additional widgets (for users to activate at their discretion) is the best route to go.

9. joseph21
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks for the reply. Will try it again as soon as possible.

By the way, I have change the wp-config.php line "define ('WPLANG', 'zh_CN.mo');" but the main site is still in default english. It's exactly the same thing I did with normal wp2.1 which worked. But not working with the current wpmu I have, did I miss anything else?

10. kingler
    Posted 17 years ago #

wp-config.php line should be

define ('WPLANG', 'zh_CN');

It will work, assuming you have put the .mo file in wp-includes/languages/ folder.

11. joseph21
    Posted 17 years ago #

I did the same thing as you said, but my main wpmu is still in English.

12. kingler
    Posted 17 years ago #

Check your SiteAdmin -> Options
    Make sure you set your default language to zh_CN

For individual blogs (including the main wpmu site), go to their backend, and set the language option.

13. joseph21
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hello Kingler, I have set the default language to zh_CN even before, but doesn't work on the main site. Even though it is a sitewide setting but my main site ain't reflected with the change of language.

The individual blogs are working fine.

Do I need to reinstall wpmu? I doubt that because changing the language does not seem to affect the database or tables.

14. joseph21
    Posted 17 years ago #

Is it compulsory to install wpmu themes for our clients or can we just use the standard wp themes for them?

About the language, maybe I could just install two wpmu, one is Chinese and the other English.

Thanks

15. joseph21
    Posted 17 years ago #

Today I tested on an individual blog and the option for choosing the language is gone in the dashboard -> options. It was there the other day, but today it's gone.. Could somebody please give me some straightforward advice to using wpmu for both English and Chinese? I've been searching in the forums for answers, just can't find the right post or thread.

Thanks.

16. kingler
    Posted 17 years ago #

Running a WPMU with both English and Chinese support should work.

However, your problem is related to a bug in WPMU. The easiest way to get around the problem is to make a English .mo file.

You can download the file for WPMU 1.0 here:
    http://72pines.org/files/English1.0.mo

Simply upload this file to your languages folder.

The details of the bug is that:

if you only put 1 language file in the folder, the option to choose language will not show up. It is related to this line here in the file wp-admin/option-general.php

if( is_array( $lang_files ) && count($lang_files) > 1){

If you change this >1 to >0, the option page will show the language option. However, if you set the default language to Chinese in siteadmin, users will not be able to choose back English.

I will open a ticket for this on the trac.

17. kingler
    Posted 17 years ago #

FYI: the ticket i opened is here:

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/270

18. joseph21
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thank you for the quick reply Kingler, it worked fine now. Please if you don't mind I have some few questions left...

How do we translate the words "Categories" "Archives" "Pages" titles and such in the frontend?

and can I use normal wordpress themes for my clients instead of the wpmu compatible themes?

-Joseph

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by joseph21
  • Latest reply from joseph21