The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

For The Heavy Coders Out There (4 posts)

1. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

So i use snap preview anywhere on my website. I'm looking to find a way to manipulate the URL for the snaps so that I can feed them into a rotating random blogs div on my mainpage.

here's an example of a snap preview url to an image: http://spa.snap.com/preview/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fsuleiman.hadithuna.com%2F&key=bce0e357288db8e537d55dd7c5aad16c&src=hadithuna.com&cp=spa_preview!hadithuna.com&sb=1&v=1.20&act=link

The part where I would want to pass data into the URL is the "suleiman.hadithuna.com" portion, and I'd like for it to be setup so that I could take the data from WPMU Feed and put it into that link.

I already have the slideshow code, i just need to figure out how to dynamically generate the link to the image source. Any ideas?

2. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

That is such a damn good idea that it makes me want to spend 3 years in college learning how to do this shit to pull it off :)

3. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

lol..it's definitely something the community would love. I think WPMU is a fantastic product, and I've been truly impressed with the advances the community has made particularly in the last year.

But where WPMU is weak is in the community tie-ins that really help a community stay tight-knit and grow at the same time. Features like a sitewide feed should be built into the software.

Anyways, enough of my gripe. Any other coders willing to take the plunge?

4. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

So you want to use a screenshot of a users blog, which is hopefully cached at snap, and put it into a rotating image div?

I think you're making it more difficult than it really is.

Grab a username, swap out your username in the link with theirs, and it's good to go.

I wouldn't grab a username that hasn't been registered for less than a week or two though, to make sure it's been cached. Maybe even a little longer than that.

In fact, I already did something similar with php. I don't have it online yet, but it's in my site redesign that I'm putting online this weekend.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by suleiman
  • Latest reply from lunabyte