The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Quick dumb SVN question (10 posts)

1. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Greets:

I don't use SVN at all so I have to ask.

Can I use SVN to update my WPMU installs even though my code has been modified? Would it override what I've done? Would it ignore what I've done?

Thnaks,
    -drmike

2. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Your svn client should be able to grab changed files, and merge in the changes. Or at least compare and ask you what to do. The "exact" way it works depends on the client you're using, or if you're using it from the line, etc.

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Any suggestions?

i don't mind cutting and pasting out of trac. It's taken me a good 45 minutes to do 7 updates though.

4. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

You would have to find an svn client for your platform, and see how to use it.

And there are a ton of them out there.

You would make an initial checkout of the code from mu's svn, then add in your changes to your local copy.

Then when doing updates from the svn, the program should handle the rest.

Ideally, your local copy is a working copy on your local test box, that you then sync with the live stuff once you know it's working ok.

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

That makes sense. (The making my changes to a local install was what was throwing me off)

Thanks,
    -drmike

6. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sure.

You make the changes to your local copy, and then when compared to the current svn, it will notify you of the difference and merge the svn into your local copy.

It should ask you first, and show you the differences. Then you can tell it to merge or not. ;)

7. kingler
    Posted 17 years ago #

What I am doing is to keep a local WPMU subversion repository, which the main server will always follow.

On a testing server or the WPMU Virtual Appliance, I check out a local working copy for initial testing. New features and hacks will be only applied to the local working copy first. Tested hacks will be committed to the repository and later checked out on the main server.

In order to update to the latest SVN version of WPMU, you can merge the WPMU SVN to your local working copy first and test it all out, before commiting to the main server.

I think it is safer and more flexible than having the main server as a working copy of the WPMU SVN.

It's just my thoughts, any comment? I am not a svn guru, and still on the steep learning curve.

8. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Um, that's what I outlined earlier.

9. kingler
    Posted 17 years ago #

Have you tried the "svn_load_dirs.pl" script?

It is supposed to be the best solution, as it would take care of comparing the external SVN (from Automattic) and your local SVN copy.

10. kingler
    Posted 17 years ago #

Following the guide here is the best solution I found (not using the .pl script).

http://svnbook.red-bean.com/en/1.1/ch07s05.html

About this Topic