The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

1.1.1 Breaks lots of Themes (17 posts)

1. rmwb
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi,
    I've been using the two theme packs from http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/ and just installed Mu 1.1.1 this morning to find many of my blogs looking very plain.
    The following themes seem to break in 1.1.1:

Banana Smoothie
    Benevolence
    CoffeeCup
    Connections Reloaded
    Deep Blue
    Dixie Belle
    Faintly Victorian
    Falling Dreams
    Iris
    Ocadia

and Freshy causes a DB Error

Can anyone else confirm this?
    Any clues on what might need changing, it looks like a similar error on each theme, I hope it isn't one of my plugins.

PodPress Plugin Player is also failing to display on many themes.

2. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Am on it.

PodPress is a bit of a pain... go anarchy I reckon.

3. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

http://codex.wordpress.org/Template_Tags

I'm not exactly sure which codes are specifically your problem, but I've gone through my themes and sought out any of the deprecated tags and updated them. End users are more worried about losing their theme than anything "under the hood."

I'm trying to make sure my themes are tight before moving on to 1.1.1.

A pesky culprit is any function which asks for "linkcategories" from the database. Search and destroy. Any others?

4. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

Oh, I find most errors are related to the sidebar. I use widgets, and who wouldn't, so I often will simply remove the offending code from the default sidebar rather than fix it.

5. spottingworld
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm using the same theme pack as rwmb and found that the fix is far simpler. the issue with the broken themes is that they have parenthesis in their paths and those aren't correctly escaped for use in the css @import url(...) statement. This should probably be flagged as a bug, but for now I have this workaround: Just drop the following code into a file fixstylesheeturi.php in mu-plugins and be happy again :-)

<?php

function uri_quote_specialchars($uri) {
    	$replace = array(
    		'('		=> '%28',
    		')'		=> '%29',
    	);
    	$uri = str_replace(array_keys($replace), array_values($replace), $uri);
    	return $uri;
    }

add_filter('stylesheet_uri', 'uri_quote_specialchars');
    add_filter('stylesheet_directory_uri', 'uri_quote_specialchars');

?>

6. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Spottingworld I can't tell you how cool that fix is - thankyou sooooooooooooo much!

BTW your upcoming site looks more than cool - great great niche!

(my dad is going to freak out about it :)

7. JohnWeb
    Posted 17 years ago #

Spottingworld, brilliant thank you.

8. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Freshy is discussed here with solution:

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/ticket/261

9. spottingworld
    Posted 17 years ago #

Farms2, you're welcome. I'm glad I didn't have to go and grab and adapt all those themes myself. So thanks in return for you providing them in the first place.

(and DO tell your dad about spottingworld :-), we are just starting to build a community and are glad about every new "face")

10. rmwb
    Posted 17 years ago #

spottingworld: Thanks, so much... your a legend :)

drmike: that freshy fix didn't work for me, I still get: WordPress database error: [Table 'blog.wp_3_linkcategories' doesn't exist]

SELECT cat_id, cat_name FROM wp_3_linkcategories

11. rmwb
    Posted 17 years ago #

arrrghhh!!!
    spottingworld: your fix breaks the Visual Editor

Can someone else please confirm that there is no visual editor while fixstylesheeturi.php is in mu-plugins.
    You just get an empty box.
    I removed fixstylesheeturi.php and it came back.

Back to the drawing board...

12. dsader
    Posted 17 years ago #

Simply remove from the sidebar the whole function that needs the "linkcategories".

To display the blogroll use

<?php wp_list_bookmarks(); ?>
    instead.

13. rmwb
    Posted 17 years ago #

Cheers dsader...
    That fixed Freshy...

14. spottingworld
    Posted 17 years ago #

rmwb: I got a visual editor in Firefox. Never had one in Safari - only the basic one. But I have some form of editor in each of them. Without going into details, a common problem with php scripts is if you have whitespace before the <?php or after the ?>.

15. djsteve
    Posted 17 years ago #

It sure would be easier for us to keep a directory of themes that have had the fixes added, and perhaps a way to security verify from other members, rather than each of us tweaking code in the same themes for 100 individual mu sites.

I would much rather fix a theme on theme server.. and I would rather just delete the themes and upload the fixed versions. Perhaps this is more practical from a broad user base, but the security checks may make it not so feasible..
    ideas..

16. rmwb
    Posted 17 years ago #

spottingworld: sorry for getting over-excited, you are correct, I had a blank line before the first <?php
    It seemed strange that it half worked, in that it fixed the themes, but broke the visual editor...
    It's all good now...
    YAY!

17. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

djsteve, try searching. That's kind of the point of the theme subforum.

About this Topic