The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Make "Use the visual rich editor" yes by default? (10 posts)

1. BernieSteakouse
    Posted 17 years ago #

As the title really, I've looked in the database, and the sign-up php files and I cant figure out how to switch on the visual editor by default.

I know a lot of people dislike it, but I think it makes life easier for bloggers.

Also have searched these forums to no avail.

Thanks in advance

2. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

upgrade-schema.php is your friend.

3. BernieSteakouse
    Posted 17 years ago #

Heading there now, thanks.

4. BernieSteakouse
    Posted 17 years ago #

I changed:

add_option('advanced_edit', 0);

to

add_option('advanced_edit', 1);

For anyone else looking to do the same.

5. JeremyVisser
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks, it assisted me too. Any idea why it's not on by default? Sounds like a sensible thing to do, seeing as though it's on by default for standard WordPress.

6. conoro
    Posted 17 years ago #

I'm vehemently opposed to enabling the RTE by default until it stops breaking hand entered HTML.

CODE<->VISUAL should be 100% round-trip (apart from banned tags). And if it is going to change tags it needs to tell the user rather than doing it behind their backs.

Currently all <div>'s are turned into <p>'s which breaks any attempt to use microformats with the RTE on WPMU, wordpress.com and wordpress.org.

7. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

just being curious, where does the div tags get stripped out? I had a look into the kses.php and the div tag is in the allowed tags list... where I added yesterday a < pull > tag which I use for pullquotes...

so why and where do div tags get stripped out?

8. conoro
    Posted 17 years ago #

It's done in TinyMCE, not kses (that's another kettle of fish as far as not allowing "class" inside various tags!).

There is a hack required in wp-includes/js/tinymce/tiny_mce_config.php

Ticket on it open here http://trac.wordpress.org/ticket/3826

and hack described here (seems to work for me):

http://wordpress.org/support/topic/102799?replies=2#post-506773

9. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

We're having teh same thread on wp.com as well. They're being changed to p tags I believe.

10. JeremyVisser
    Posted 17 years ago #

Regardless, we should not try to diverge too far from WordPress. If WP makes a decision, WPMU should not stray from it simply because the WPMU users are more technical and are more likely to use the quicktags editor.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by BernieSteakouse
  • Latest reply from JeremyVisser