The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

new plugin "addon" for akismet (6 posts)

1. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

I just found this little gem here: http://boakes.org/akismet-worst-offenders and wanted to share it with the community. my first tests were successful, except that the IP banning doesn't seem to work for me...

The plugin helps you sort through the spam caught by akismet, by sorting spam by different "reasons" like being from the same IP or advertising the same sites, etc.

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Good find but I'm really iffy on letting end users have control over banning IP addresses.

3. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

right, but one could work around that not displaying the backend to users,... maybe even only show it to the admin, and have it show the admin a summary of all site-wide spam :-) - what about this idea?

4. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Agreed but if I'm banning IP addresses myself, (and I do) I already have access to the htaccess file.

What would be nice is if I somehow got a list of the IP addresses. That's all I would need.

Something like "When comments is marked as spam, drop the IP address into a table" command.

Hmmm....

5. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

ok, maybe we could hack out / cut out the part of the plugin that is not interesting, but what I really liked is that it grouped spam comments, so its easier to sort through comment spam.

i.e. this plugin groups 100 spam comments as originating from the same ip, then another 100 comments as having more than 5 links inside, and another 100 comments as promoting the same site.

I can just delete 300 spams with 2-3 clicks and thus make my life easiear when checking the spam for false negatives? or what were they called? you know what I mean...

6. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Agreed, I do like that feature.

Looks like this is the latest release:

http://boakes.org/talk/topic/27

It appears that the author has seperated the features from the Akismet code so to make it work on the newer versions of Akismet.

About this Topic