The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Speaking of SK2 (5 posts)

1. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

You know, I had a thought on SK2 a few minutes ago.

I said to myself, "Self, if SK2 can run a filter on comment text, why couldn't it run the same filter on a posts text?"

Here's what I'm getting at.

Sploggers come in, hit a few posts, and leave. Sometimes it's simply a single post.

Later they may try to come back through xmlrpc to their "site", but that's a whole different ballgame. Usually they've been blocked by then.

So, back to my thought.

Why couldn't there be an individual site setting that is a value. It's value is increased with each post (through a do_action call).

Then SK2 would check this variable, and say if it's less than 5, it would run the post content through its filter. If this value is grater than 5, nothing happens. Note, this variable is only updated on a successful publish.

If it hits, then the post status may not be set to published, and a site admin is notified.

This way, you can double check the information, and if legit you can lift the restriction. Or something to that effect.

If it's not, then you can remove the offending site without incident or content ever being pushed out.

Legitimate posts, just like legitimate comments, should pass through without issue.

Or, another possible idea would be to set a post-id variable as above, and then modify the ping function so that posts with an id less than 5 wouldn't be sent through the ping channel.

Then, if you monitor your sitewide feed, you can take action. The content might get published, but at least the whole world isn't notified about it.

Hmmm... I wonder...

2. zeug
    Posted 17 years ago #

That's a damn fine thought there lunabyte, have you tested this out with any hacks yet?

3. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

No. I haven't had the time yet.

I was just kind of thinking out loud.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

I like how you think. ;)

5. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, it should be possible.

Note, I haven't opened up SK2 at all, but...

I would "assume" it hooks into the posting of the comment, with an add_action. If that's the case, it "may" be possible to either add another action to it, or add an action and then make a small function to process the posted content through some of the SK2 filters/checks.

Wrap the new add action in an if statement, where the blog details have been pulled and the post count is greater than X. "X" being the number of posts you want a blog to have before the post content is no longer filtered by SK2.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by lunabyte
  • Latest reply from lunabyte