The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

How to active - activition email problem (6 posts)

1. dwxt
    Posted 17 years ago #

I just installed mu into my home server, the configuration of my server as following:

Ubuntu 6.10 / Apache 2 / PHP5 / Mysql

1) after I finish the setup, the server telling me it will send me a mail with my user name and password.

2) when I register a new blog, I can't receive the mail from my server.

Should I setup the mail server? Or I heard that the mail is conducted by some internal function, how can I receive it?

Tks.

2. kingler
    Posted 17 years ago #

Be sure to search the forum here first.

If you have phpMyAdmin setup already, a quick guide to set the admin password without mail server is to follow my video setup here:

http://en.72pines.org/wordpress-mu/setup-wpmu/

3. pipri123
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi Im having some issues with the email notification too. Users using gmail account are not recieving the email notification. I guess its some problem with SMTP authentication. Can anyone tell me how to enable/force SMTP authentication? Thanks in advance!

4. pipri123
    Posted 16 years ago #

Error message on apache log is as follows:

SMTP server response: 503 This mail server requires authentication when attempting to send to a non-local e-mail address. Please check your mail client settings or contact your administrator to verify that the domain or address is defined for this server. in C:\\Program Files\\Apache Software Foundation\\Apache2.2\\htdocs\\wp-includes\\wpmu-functions.php on line 1061, referer: http://blog.gorecroot.com/wp-signup.php

5. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'd do what the error message suggests but if that doesn't work, do a search for 'smtp plugin' here in the forums as we've covered this a few times already and there's a plugin that you can install that uses the smtp server instead of php's mailer.

6. pipri123
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi I installed the plugin but still wp tries to send email via the previouroute. The same error is getting displayed.

About this Topic