The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Plugins not available in new install (19 posts)

1. doolols
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi

I've recently installed MU to create a blog farm, and I have around 4-5 blogs created. I can't get my plugins to work. In fact, the plugins option isn't even on the admin menu. I use standard WP, and know where it should be and how it works.

I've checked my install, and everything looks OK. Everything else is working, and I've started posting to the blogs, but I need anti spam on there ASAP.

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Where are you installing the plugins in the file directory?

The Plugin option has to be turned on at Dashboard -> Site Admin -> Options. The menu is not turned on as a default.

3. doolols
    Posted 17 years ago #

Durrr! I'm sure I looked in there - several times.

Thanks so much for the reply.

4. cburell
    Posted 17 years ago #

I've turned on the plugin option in my MU, and have uploaded Anarchy Media Player into the /muplugins folder, AND activated the plugin in config.php .

But I still get this message in my Plugins Management window:

Couldn’t open plugins directory or there are no plugins available.

Any guidance?

Thanks in advance :)

5. cburell
    Posted 17 years ago #

Update: the Anarchy buttons showed up in the RTE, but still the Plugins Management page says "Couldn’t open plugins directory or there are no plugins available."

6. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

You put it in MU plugins.

The mu-plugins directory is for plugins that you want executed every time, for every blog, 24/7. There is no option to turn it on, or off, it runs automatically.

You need to put your plugins in the plugins directory.

7. cburell
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thank goodness for lunabyte. I'm going to start a fan club for you.

Seriously, a million thanks :)

C.

8. mmccrae
    Posted 17 years ago #

I am having the same problem. I installed WordPress MU but do not see a tab for plugins in the admin panel. Hey, doodols, did you find a solution?

9. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Did you not read the thread?

Put plugins in the plugins directory, like usual.

Make sure that under site admin - > options at the bottom the option to turn on the plugin tab for users is enabled.

10. mmccrae
    Posted 17 years ago #

I read the post and could not see the option to turn it on at under site admin - > options

However, I got it to work. When I uploaded the plugs-ins and logged out and then logged back in, the plug-ins option appeared.

11. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Just to be clear: the option to enable plugins is a ticky box. Waaaaay at the bottom of the page.

12. ahelms10
    Posted 16 years ago #

I don't see the ticky box. Here's what I see at the bottom of the options page: http://www.ahelms.com/wordpress/images/wp-scrnprnt.jpg

When I click on plugins, here is what I get:
    Plugin Management

Plugins extend and expand the functionality of WordPress. Once a plugin is installed, you may activate it or deactivate it here.

Couldn’t open plugins directory or there are no plugins available.

If something goes wrong with a plugin and you can’t use WordPress, delete or rename that file in the wp-content/plugins directory and it will be automatically deactivated.

I have tried putting three different plugins in the wp-content/plugins directory: google-analyticator, google-sitemap-generator, and stats.

Any ideas?

13. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Site Admin -> Options -> Bottom of page.

That's the options page in the screenshot, not the Site Admin options page.

14. ahelms10
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for the reply. Site Admin is not available from the Dashboard. I am logging in w/the default admin account. I created a new account w/Administrator privileges and see the same options in the Dashboard w/the new account.

In the wp_usermeta table, the attributes of wp_capabilities and wp_user_level are the same for both accounts
    wp_capabilities - a:1:{s:13:"administrator";b:1;}
    wp_user_level - 10

Any help is appreciated.

15. unufrii
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have the same problem. Plugins are enabed. There are plugins in /wp-content/plugins directory, but I still got "Couldn’t open plugins directory or there are no plugins available." error message. Permission are ok. I even tried chmod -R 777 plugins but the situation is the same.

16. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

ahelms - that looks like a single-blog regular WP install to me, NOT MU.

unufrii - are they chown'ed properly? And uh, get 'em off 777 before you get hacked...

17. unufrii
    Posted 16 years ago #

The owner is correct. I restored the permissions to their original state after I saw nothing happens.

18. elzzadnayr
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi

I've recently installed MU to create a blog farm, and I have around 4-5 blogs created. I can't get my plugins to work. In fact, the plugins option isn't even on the admin menu. I use standard WP, and know where it should be and how it works.

This is the first post of this thread and now I am facing the sam problem here.

Please can anyone help!!! Thanks a lot.

19. VentureMaker
    Posted 15 years ago #

Site Admin -> Options.
    See if Plugins menu is enabled there.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by doolols
  • Latest reply from VentureMaker