The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Verification code to sign up (34 posts)

1. roxer82
    Posted 17 years ago #

Is there any way to add a verification code when the users is going to register a blog?
    Thanks in advanced

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Cloest thing I can think of right off is the invite system Andrea was planning on coding up. I don't know if she ever finished it or not though.

3. kingler
    Posted 17 years ago #

We are polishing our invitation signup plugin a bit and will release soon.

4. gumdrop
    Posted 17 years ago #

there is one an I'm using it...
    Found it...:
    http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/WPMU-Captcha-for-registration

5. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Nope, we dropped it - gong another way I think, and Stuff has come up to severely limit my (our) volunteer coding time.

6. roxer82
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks for your answers!
    I installed "Captcha for registration" and seems to be working :)

7. gumdrop
    Posted 17 years ago #

Why did you drop it andrea_r? Seems to work fine.

8. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Captcha methods don't work well. Most spam bots can read them and there's a lot of folks with either vision problems or who sit behind broken proxies.

9. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

We were referring to the original Invite system that used to be in MU, not the Captcha plugin. :)

10. gumdrop
    Posted 17 years ago #

Yeah, true enough. I guess something is better than nothing.
    ...can't decide on the "something" tho'. ;)

11. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Agreed. I was wondering how we got on Captchas.

12. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Easiest way would be to have the activation email sent to a site admin, who can then activate the account, and the "details" would be sent to the end user.

Of course, problem being is if their email address is bunk. If it is, then you just activated an account for nothing and the user won't be purged out of the registration table after activation hasn't been completed after however long it is.

13. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Our "something else" is instead of a signup form, it's a request-a-blog form. The request gets sent to admin, I set up a blog for 'em and mail back details.

Pretty much similar to what lunabyte just said. :)

I think this would work better for *our* site because it is smaller, more personal and niche community driven. I don't expect a load of signups on any given day.

14. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

I still use Bad Behavior, plus a captcha.

Combined with the fact that the email address has to be valid, that cuts out a lot of the crap.

It's not 100%, but I'm working on something to catch the other fraction that the above doesn't filter out.

I'm also "considering" a rotating captcha as well. Where the background image is random, and so is the text color.

A well formed captcha can't be read by bots anyway, but the ones that are pretty simple to read can be.

15. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

If anyone gets really bored and wants to take a shot at writing a wordpress plugin, I would love to see one that send out a confirm email when a comment is left to verify the address.

16. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Man, I just had some really incredible BBQ for lunch. There's a new smokehouse "in town" that opened up a few months ago, and it's pretty darn tasty.

(Hey Doc, if you're going to hijack a thread, you gotta do it with some style! woot!)

p.s. Yes, I'm giving you sh*t. ;) he he he. Well, that and the bbq is that good. lol

17. gumdrop
    Posted 17 years ago #

Please don't start lunabyte, you're making me druel!

18. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Sorry, couldn't help it.

Think that's bad, wait until I fire up my "big honkin" smoker. It'll be on then.

19. kingler
    Posted 17 years ago #

BBQ, I haven't had any for a long long time. How I miss that smell!

To andrea_r, the plugin we are working on is to allow a request-a-blog form along with an invitation system, so that any user in the system can invite their friends to join.

We think this is a good way to control user registration.

20. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

C'mon Doc, that was funny. It's OK to laugh. We won't hold it against you. ;)

That would be decent, provided it was implemented OK.

For me, it seems like a "normal" sign-up form, with an added "invitation code" field.

The field, if not empty, is checked against a list of valid codes. If it's valid then the sign-up is processed in a normal automagic fashion. If the code is empty or invalid, then it would run the request through an "approval process", where the site admin(s) can then activate the account however that may be.

Captcha is still a good idea though, mainly to cut out a lot of the bots.

21. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Mmmmmm, bbq... I'll trade you some snow for it. I have LOTS.

Kingler: I think we're working on the exact same thing. :) And by "working on" I mean "still trying to find time to look at it once we get some Life details worked out".

22. gumdrop
    Posted 17 years ago #

Me too I got buckets of rain and some slushy snow to trade.

23. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

"Buckets of rain"

That I could definitely use.

24. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

Well, I'm pretty far north - I bet the snow would melt by the time it got there, so... SURE! I have 3 feet of it on the ground, not counting drifts and piles.

25. gumdrop
    Posted 17 years ago #

You got "piles" andrea_r?

26. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

1in of snow = 1/10th in of rain.

I need feet of rain, so you better have 10's of feet of snow. lol

27. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Charlotte shuts down with 1/8th of an inch of snow. Rather annoying. I'd hate to see what would happen if we got a foot of it.

28. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Me too.

I had no idea you were in Charlotte, Doc. My hometown is just up 85. ;)

29. gumdrop
    Posted 17 years ago #

There's a an excuse for you two to exchange a few beers....

30. mlowsley
    Posted 17 years ago #

Any ETA on when the "invite system" is going to be available? I'm trying to help create some very controversial medical communities - likelihood of polarizing trolls is high.

Unfortunately, my coding skills are legendary in that people look at the code, say "it should work" and it won't. Of course, that makes me a great tester since I can break just about anything.

Pax,

MLO

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by roxer82
  • Latest reply from oscarrovira