The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Is his normal behavior? (8 posts)

1. Konstan
    Posted 17 years ago #

I created a blog for general purposes on my Mu install and when adding categories I have the default category (ID 1) and Blogroll (ID 2).

I added 1 more category and its ID was 145. This striked me as odd so I added another and it was ID 338.

Is this normal? Or I broke something in my install?

EDIT: I just added more categories to test this, and it started counting the IDs right, I got 339 340 341. Still, I think this is weird.

2. WDuluoz
    Posted 17 years ago #

I noticed that if it tried to make a category with a number that already has a category associated with it. Say you hit back instead of refreshing the page. Then it will randomnly pick a large number to make the category without running into another category.

WDuluoz

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

The categories are counted site wide, not within the individual blogs.

4. Konstan
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ok, seems reasonable.

But why does it create ID 145 and then jumps to 338 :P

5. nolageek
    Posted 16 years ago #

This is happening to me.. and I only have 3 blogs.. my category IDs are going from 4000's to 6000's to 8000 when creating categories one after another.

6. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Not sure why you posted this twice....

7. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

"The categories are counted site wide, not within the individual blogs."

I've just looked at wp_1_categories and wp_2_categories and they both start at 1

8. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Considering that they're probably both named "Uncategorized" as that's the default and they get assigned the number 1 slot upon install, that sounds right.

About this Topic