The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Main page - Overview of sub-blogs? (7 posts)

1. Tree2054
    Posted 17 years ago #

So I am considering using Mu as a new setup for my personal site. While most of the features look good, there is one I am looking for that I am not sure if it exists or not.

I would like to have a main blog, that is nothing but blurbs from the recent posts in the sub blogs. A "recent posts" type front page that lists only X recent posts from all blogs that Mu manages. If as an admin I could post complete blog items to the front page as well that would be rad.

When something is posted to a sub blog, I would like it to post something like:

TITLE OF NEW POST -- from some sub blog

"blah blah blah blah " read more ...

If this functionality does not exist, I am competent enough to write my own hack to cross post new items to the main blog's db.

2. WDuluoz
    Posted 17 years ago #

There are several options.
    Either write the script to access the information from the blogs yourself, do a search for a template someone made, or look for Site Wide Feed or List All plugin.

Modify your home.php of your main blog to display the information.

It shouldnt be too hard.

WDuluoz

3. xiand0
    Blocked
    Posted 17 years ago #

I wanted to show the contents of the latest post from the latest updated blogs. I did not find anything near what I wanted.

Take a look at the front page of http://livelyblog.com/ and use the MU plugin downloadable from

http://howtomakeasitelike.livelyblog.com/howto-lists-all-latest-updated-blog-posts-on-the-front-page/

if that's what you want.

It shows the entire contents of the latest posts, but it's only 1 line of code to change if you prefer it show only blurbs and not the complete posts.

4. Tree2054
    Posted 17 years ago #

Awesome. Thanks to both of you. I didn't think it would be difficult to write myself, but it seems as if it would be such a common request that someone had already solved this problem.

Wheels are round and they work, no need to make a new one.

5. ColinFilmJournal
    Posted 17 years ago #

The other option is to make use of the latestposts portion of my search plugin at WPMU dev - that'll give you easy access to everything you need.

6. Graftark
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok... I'm looking to do the same thing. Here's the deal, I can not find my home.php file. I assume it is in the main directory, I swear I saw it previously and I'm sure I didn't go and delete it. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

The home.php file woudl be in the default theme directory. If you're using a different theme, you can make your own home.php file and put whatever you like in it.

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by Tree2054
  • Latest reply from andrea_r