The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Installing WPMU in subdomain mode... (9 posts)

1. Masterminds
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi,

I need some help installing WPMU. What I want is to allow each new user to have his blog
    hosted in subdomain (eg: user.mydomain.com).
    I've installed in the classic way by running setup (& choosing the subdomain host option), but is not working at all... :(

I've found some tutorials (unofficial) like http://www.blogopreneur.com/2006/11/06/installing-wordpress-mu-on-a-cpanelwhm-server/
    and many others but their are all confusing... some are saying that you must make some changes at domain DNS with the help of the admins and others say that you can do this by yourself from cpanel...

Please explain me how to do it (step by step) on a shared hosting in cpanel. Maybe an official tutorial will be extremely useful.

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Might help us help you if you told us how you set it up. Telling us that you did it in the "classic way" means absolutley nothing, specially since it's not working for you.

Details please with specifics.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 17 years ago #

First, contact *your host* and ask them if wildcards are enabled on your account, and if not, can they do so.

Many shared hosts won't let you touch things like that.

4. skyecade
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi guys, I wanted to set up my WPMU the same way, but I already have existing subdomains on my domain, i.e., forum.mydomain.com, blog.mydomain.com.

I contacted my host and they said they could enable wildcards on a per domain basis, but all current subdomains would stop working. Obviously I don't want this to happen so I may have to go the route mydomain.com/user.

Are there any disadvantages to doing it this way? Why is the other method preferred. Is it just for visual appeal?

Thanks.

5. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

skyecade, please do a search for 'previous subdomains' here in the forums. It's been discussed many times along with solutions.

Please also note that intrupting threads like this and hijacking them, especially when it's not related to the question posed, is considered very rude, both in forums and in real life.

6. skyecade
    Posted 17 years ago #

@drmike - Thanks, I'll do that.

@Masterminds - Sorry for hijacking your thread. drmike is right, it was quite rude of me. :( Please continue.

7. adammoro
    Posted 16 years ago #

I apologize if this is the wrong place to post this question. I'm trying to install WPMU on a subdomain (wpmu.domain.com). Every time I submit the install form, the page appears to refresh and delete the info as if I was starting over again. I've installed WPMU on a subfolder before but never on a subdomain so I'm not sure what's going on. Any thoughts? Please let me know if you need more info.

8. mixle
    Blocked
    Posted 16 years ago #

HI I'm a newbie here and not sure if this is where to post this.I am also having problems, with sub domains.
    my site is http://www.uk2uonline.com .I want to add users to my domain. ie, username.uk2uonline.com.
    I set up a test user mixle the email I received stated
    To activate your blog, please click the following link:

http://mixle.uk2uonline.com/wp-activate.php?key=fd2aa2af24076a0c

After you activate, you will receive *another email* with your login.

After you activate, you can visit your blog here:

http://mixle.uk2uonline.com/
    But when I click on the link to activat I get
    Firefox can't find the server at mixle.uk2uonline.com.
    I think this is an .htaccess fault, but don't know how to change it. my .htaccess is as follows
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/$ index.php [L]
    RewriteRule ^(.*/)?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]
    Can someone please help it would be very much appreciated. Thanks uk2uonline

9. adammoro
    Posted 16 years ago #

@mixle - Did you set a Wilcard DNS on your hosting account? If there are no options in your hosting panel to do so, you can contact your hosting company and ask them to set a Wildcard DNS on uk2uonline.com. That should do the trick. Godaddy apparently can't do it on shared plans but I wouldn't recommend them for anything anymore these days. Host Gator can do this for you as I'm sure most other hosting companies can as well. Hope that helps!

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by Masterminds
  • Latest reply from adammoro