The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Category for permalinks (4 posts)

1. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

When categorizing posts, it "should" be using the lowest category id for the permalink, yet with 1.1.1 this no longer seems to be the case?

I categorize the crap out of posts, and if I add a category at the last minute that's relevant to the topic, but not the main focus, that last cat ends up as the permalink.

Has anyone else noticed this? I'd hate to hack up my core (worse than it already is, lol) if it is something I've overlooked or has been corrected.

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

It's too early. I can't think this out.

When you say permalink, you you mean it's dropping it into the table under (I think it's the) guid record?

3. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

No.

I mean when it generates the permalink for a particular post, and uses %category%, it "should" be using the lowest category id. But, it isn't on my install since 1.1.1, and it's using the highest one instead.

Not that it "really" makes a big difference, but then again it might.

4. zappoman
    Posted 17 years ago #

Lunabyte, if you don't like this behavior you could use the post_link filter to rewrite all your permalinks to the behavior you want.

I used this technique to eliminate step 6 of Dr. Mikes sitewide tags solution. (That was the only core change in the tags instance of WP, and like you I want to avoid any core changes.)

Anyway, I haven't used category based permalinks (I've been sticking with date/title based permalinks)... but certainly you can do this.

Check out my plugin here for the basic idea and calling structure...

http://heftagaub.wordpress.com/2007/03/17/sitewide-tags-for-wpmu-without-core-changes/

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by lunabyte
  • Latest reply from zappoman