The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

main blog setup and seperate sidebars (13 posts)

1. umair
    Posted 17 years ago #

hey guys !

firstly !! i have freshly installed wordpress mu. How can i setup my main blog to link like "http://mysite.com/blog"

secondly !!! can any one pls tell me how to setup seperate sidebars for both the home page and the blog page ???

2. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

first of all, make sure you understand all implications of wpmu. this is not wordpress.

regarding the setup: if you want to have yourdomain.com/blog you should set it up in that directory, so give soem mroe info: how did you set it up? where? in the root? how does it look now?

regarding separate sidebars, what exactly do you mean? thats an issue of the template you select... you want to have the sidebars display different stuff when viewing a page and when viewing home have it display another thing?

then you need to edit your functions.php and add more sidebars and the ncall the coresponding sidebars from the pages template.

3. umair
    Posted 17 years ago #

for the first part !

i set it up in the root !! i.e. it is in ...../public_html/
    and looks like exactly as http://mysite.com

for the second part ! ovidiu ! you got me exactly right !!! and i did exactly as u said !! i.e. setup two seperate sidebar pages and called them from home.php.

but, problem occurs when i widgetize the sidebars. i want to widgetize the sidebar of the blog, but the main page gets widgetized too :(

4. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

for 1.

try this but remember I haven't tested it, its just an idea.

make a new wordpress page, call it blog, with a slug of blog. go to options => reading and where it says what to show on frontpage select "a static page" set front page to your newly created blog page and posts page to the same page. theoretically it should work

2. this should work too like you did: you create i.e. 2 sidebars in functions.php => this will show you 2 sidebars inside the sidebar widgets page of your backend. decide which sidebar you want to have on the homepage and which one you want on your pages. drag the widgets into them. save. then edit your home.php or index.php to include sidebar one, edit your other page.php or other template and include the other sidebar

5. umair
    Posted 17 years ago #

what is meant by creating sidebars in functinos.php ??

and one other thing, the idea given for first query does not work for me. What i want is to setup a blog, be able to make all the posts in that, like done in an ordinary blog, but that blog must be the same presentation and theme as that of the site. there must be some other way for that. any one having any idea ???

6. Ovidiu
    Posted 17 years ago #

you're confusing me..

i want is to setup a blog, be able to make all the posts in that, like done in an ordinary blog, but that blog must be the same presentation and theme as that of the site.

ok, I understand about the blog, but what site are you talking about?
    First I thought you wanted to have your blog page that contains all your posts appear as in mysite.com/blog and all other static pages right under mysite.com but it seems this was not right...

Are you sure you want to use wpmu and not wordpress?
    Could you explain again exactly what you are trying to do?

7. umair
    Posted 17 years ago #

ok... let me come again

i installed wpmu. Now on main page which is the first page of the website ... i want to display only information about what is my site about .... its features .... top blogs and newest blog posts etc..... which is pretty much like wordpress.com

secondly i want to have all MY posts ( not posts of those blogs which are hosted on my wpmu site ...i mean the ones at example.exapmle.com ) ... but only the posts of my main blog ... on a seperate page ... like example.com/blog

so basically i have two pages to make ... MAIN PAGE and the rest of the BLOG PAGE ... ?

am i clear this time ... ?

8. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

Create/Edit: home.php

Edit sidebar.php:

<?php
    if ( is_home() ) {
    ?>
         my home sidebar stuff
    <?php
    } else {
      // not home page
         my non-home sidebar stuff
    }

/blog should already be set to use, as it's an MU default for the "main" blog.

9. umair
    Posted 17 years ago #

you solved half of the problem :) thnx for it ....

is there any way that when ever my user comes to a location example.com/blog/ .... he gets a simple blog interface ... like simple wordpress blogs have ... which may blog posts of my original blog (and not of hosted blogs) and when ever he goes to the main page example.com he receives a separate page ?

10. lunabyte
    Posted 17 years ago #

For the main site, /blog should be the same as a normal interface on a standard wp site.

That's how MU distinguishes the main sites blog from the rest. Granted it only applies to a subdirectory install, but the same happens with a subdomain install as well.

Or something like that.

11. umair
    Posted 17 years ago #

i have installed wpmu in a sub-domain. But accessing /blog gives me a 404 error :(

??

12. umair
    Posted 17 years ago #

i m sorry to say that i made a mistake in previous post. its not installed in a sub-domain. it is on main domain, but the blogs being hosted are in sub-domains like
    blog1.example.com
    blog2.example.com

etc etc

13. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

About this Topic