The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Spam Karma 2.3 - WPMU compatible? (7 posts)

1. jshare
    Posted 17 years ago #

Anyone know?

2. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 17 years ago #

Did you try it?

3. jshare
    Posted 17 years ago #

Not yet. I'm using SK2 with Bad Behavior and it works quite well so I'm not in a rush to upgrade, but I hope to try it by next weekend

4. suleiman
    Posted 17 years ago #

very cool jshare, very cool indeed...

5. jshare
    Posted 17 years ago #

er...what is? Ah...maybe you were hoping that I'd be the early adopter. Well then, I guess I'll have to pull an all-nighter for the good of the community :)

6. jshare
    Posted 17 years ago #

Ok, I've plugged in 2.3 RC1 to my dev environment which is also on WPMU 1.2.1. Previously, I was running the SK2 version downloaded from http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Spam-Karma-2-for-WPMU and called '...rev810-and-later.zip'. All this on MediaTemple's GridServer.

Here's what I did:

1. Download the new version from http://unknowngenius.com/blog/wordpress/spam-karma/
    2. Extract it. Right away I noticed what I had taken for granted - this was the non-wpmu version. I decided to continue anyway after backing up my dev environment.
    3. Backup the dev env :)
    4. Upload the new files - compared with the 2.2 version from wpmudev, the immediate difference is that there's no wpmu-sk2.php file to put in /mu-plugins/. However, the extracted files matched the hierarchy that I already had in /mu-plugins/wpmu-sk2/ so I copied the extraction there, overwriting some of the existing versions. Perhaps I should have disabled the plugin first. I didn't think of it.
    5. I then went into Options > Spam Karma 2 to see what's what. Under the General Settings tab there was a mention that the RBL Check plugin was disabled since it couldn't contact the home server. Under the SK2 Logs tab was an error about a missing MySQL tab. Otherwise, everything seemed to be fine.
    6. The MySQL error in the Logs tab reminded me of Dr. Dave's message about the 2.3 release. He mentions changes to the WP schema and recommends going to Manage > Spam Karma post-install to kick off the auto-update script. In the WPMU, you can't do this since the plugin is in mu-plugins. So under the General Settings tab I clicked 'Force MySQL Updates'. These are the errors I got:
    7. Could not alter SQL table: wp_1_comments.
      SQL error: Duplicate key name 'comment_date_gmt'
    8. Could not alter SQL table: wp_1_posts.
      SQL error: Duplicate key name 'post_date'
    9. Could not alter SQL table: wp_1_posts.
      SQL error: Duplicate key name 'post_date_gmt'
    10. The errors didn't bother me because all they say is that certain tables already exist, at least that's what it looks like. I was ankle deep by this point, so I continued anyway.
    11. I clicked on each of the plugin's tabs, and everything looked fine. Nice new javascript touch to make the tables more readable. I also tried moderating, filtering, cleaning and recovering and Dr. Dave is right, things are noticeably zippier (for what it's worth as one-time unscientific test). The RBL Check plugin is fine again.
    12. I submitted some good comments onsite and some spam-like ones. Everything was treated as I expected.
    13. Final step was to check my error_log - nothing.

Seems like good news!

7. baptiste
    Posted 16 years ago #

Works like a charm for me so far. I hadn't installed SK2 yet, so this was a 'fresh' install into 1.2.1 I installed it in plugins, primarily to allow users to have control over their spam settings. I Globally Activated it and then went to the options tab for each site to create the tables. All the tables are created with the right prefix, except for sk2_blacklist, which I kind of like. So for each site that I activated, you get a bunch of warnings about the blacklist entries already existing, but just that first time. Beyond that - seems like it is working. Comments are checked as they should be. I use the SK2_akismet plugin and that is working as expected as well.

So far, so good - seems to be working great.

About this Topic