The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Fatal error on user registration attempt (9 posts)

1. AgentNox
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I got wpmu installed, but when I tried to set up a test user I got the following error message:

Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/citizenp/www/www/wpmu/wp-inst/wp-includes/functions.php on line 1200

I'm not so code-y, so to me all that says is "Danger, Will Robinson! Danger!!" Does anyone have a clue what the problem is and how I can fix it?

Thanks,
    Heather

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

are you trying to register a user on a blog or create a new blog via wp-newblog.php?

3. AgentNox
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I'm trying to create a new blog using the wp-newblog.php page. Sorry, I should have clarified that.

4. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

wp-newblog.php should be considered more of a "developers tool" rather than a production environment script. I'll look at it later tonight. I think i've encountered this error before.

5. AgentNox
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Wicked, thanks. If wp-newblog.php isn't the best way to have users generate their blogs, how should I be doing it? I'm doing my MA in communications and I wanted to set up a site where all the others in my cohort could keep thesis blogs (sounds altruistic until you realize I'm writing my thesis on blogging and they'd be helping with my research :)

Thanks again,
    Heather

6. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

I tried to recreate the error you encountered and had no luck. As for the proper way of going about registering users... wp-newblog.php is it (for now). Eventually registration will be built into wpmu instead of having to use the script.

I'm guessing that you know a bit about php. You can pretty much look at the code in wp-newblog.php and figure out how it works. Just open the file up and throw in some debug statements. Also, make sure your paths are correct as this error could easily be caused by a wrong path.

If you can't figure it just email the files you are having trouble with along with server specs to the email address below and i'll take a look at them.

Goodluck :)
    Andrew,
    andrew/a.t/idtstudios/d.o.t/com

7. lordrich
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I'm seeing exactly the same error, it does get somewhere because trying to sign up with the same weblog id twice will give "Bad Luck - that name already exists
    Please choose another."

line 1200 is if ( $users = $wpdb->get_results("SELECT * FROM $wpdb->users WHERE user_level > 0") ) :

where as get_results is defined in wp-db.php as function get_results($query = null, $output = OBJECT) {

Various places in functions.php have only the one parameter passed to $wpdb->get_results, but looking at the defined function I would assume that is expecting two. Is that what is causing the problem?

8. arnott
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

i also got fatal error what can i do?
    Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/twenty4/public_html/wpmu/wp-inst/wp-includes/functions.php on line 1166

9. Farms
    Posted 18 years ago #

Ahhh... trying to install the latest version and having teh same problem with wp-newblog.php, namely the old

"Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /home/lndblogs/public_html/wp-inst/wp-includes/functions.php on line 1166"

(as in this thread too: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic/25#post-192)

I know that wp-newblog.php is justa developers tool for the moment but it's top of the list of 'must haves' for all us 'trying to be developers but not really getting there' sorts (well, me)

Has anyone been able to craft a fix for this, I'd realllly appreciate one!

Cheers, James

About this Topic

• Started 2025 years ago by AgentNox
  • Latest reply from Farms