The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

where should i put WPMU files for a subdomain based install (4 posts)

1. anabelle
    Posted 17 years ago #

I tried installing MU from mydomain.com/blogs but when i create a new blog its adress is blog.mydomain.com/blogs/ wich doesn't make any sense.

Where should i run the installation from so that each blog ends up being blog.mydomain.com ?

2. anabelle
    Posted 17 years ago #

i now tried puting filesin mu.mydomain.com and now each blogs ends up being blog.mu.mydomain.com

Im worried that if i put files in my root, index.php will be replaces by the one in MU please help me.... this is an EASY question...

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Been much discussed here in the forums as well. Much discussed. It's also point #3 on the installation instructions:

http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/wiki/InstallingWordPressMU

For userblog.mydomain.tld to work, you have to install the files into the root of teh domain. You can not install them into a subdirectory or a subdomain. WPMu uses that as the root of the install and makes it's blogs off of that. if you install it into a subdirectory, then the blogs have to be subdirectories off of that. If you install it into a subdomain, you have to do subdomains off of the subdomain (which will cause DNS issues for a large percentage of your visitors and many search engines) or subdirectories off of that subdomain.

What you can do though is WPMu will detect a home.php file located within the home theme. Use your current index.php file as your new theme's home.php file and it will display.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

4. anabelle
    Posted 17 years ago #

Still not totally clear, Icurrently have a website running at mydomain.com, if i upload mu to the root, index.php willbe overwritten. Or if i dont overwrite it, mu wont work. right?

can i change index.php to blogs.php?

ill try the home.php but i dont quite get it, sorry, im not very good with english.

should i rename my actual index.php to home.php andput itin the default theme folder?

thx

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by anabelle
  • Latest reply from anabelle