The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Releasing my stats setup (37 posts)

1. zappoman
    Posted 16 years ago #

Back on topic...

I've been haunted by Dr. Mike's idea of wanting to limit top posts to 1 per blog... in other words if a blog is very popular and they have multiple posts that are in the top posts, you might not want to show more than 1 of their posts in the list.

Anyway, I knew there had to be a way to do this with just a sql tweak to my plugin, so while I was debugging something else tonight, I let my brain wander back to this question, and I finally came up with the right SQL to do the trick.

If you want to do this, try adding a function to my top posts plugin that uses the following SQL...

SELECT blog_id,post_id,MAX(post_hits) as 'max_post_hits'
        FROM
    (SELECT blog_id, post_id, COUNT(post_id) AS 'post_hits'
        FROM wp_blogs_zap_hits
        WHERE post_id <> 0
        GROUP BY blog_id, post_id
        ORDER BY post_hits DESC) as top_posts
    GROUP BY blog_id ORDER by max_post_hits DESC;

The trick here is that you're essentially using the normal query that's in the code already as a subquery for another query that pulls out the max post_hits.

If this makes sense to you then go for it...

Otherwise I do plan to make a release of the top posts plugin soon that adds this feature as well as adds the top_blogs code suggested by ezequielc and fixes a caching bug found by Nis (and confirmed by me as it was messing up my dashboard on one of my blogs).

follow me?

2. zappoman
    Posted 16 years ago #

Version 0.42.4 of wpmu-topposts plugin now available…

Lots of changes:

• Added support for top_blogs(), same calling convention as top_posts() but returns top blogs based on total hits to the blog for all posts on the blog.
    • Added a couple new arguments to top_posts() include a new max_per_blog which if set to 1 will limit the posts to 1 per blog.
    • Added days_back argument which will limit the stats to a certain number of days into the past.
    • Added many new formatting arguments to make it easyer to use the get_*_html functions and get the formating you want.
    • Fixed a couple bugs that would cause cache corruption (removed a call to update_post_caches() which was definitley corrupting the post cache)
    • Also correctly call switch_to_blog() in the get_*_html functions so that the blog template tags actually work properly.

More details here...

3. enseignement
    Posted 16 years ago #

Btw,

Is the stats plugin released ? How is it going for you drmike ?

4. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

awesome work zappo! :)

5. newspartner
    Posted 16 years ago #

thanks man very nice Working Now...

6. Houston Web Designer
    Posted 15 years ago #

I know this thread is old, but most of the main players are still active in the forums. I like the idea of top blogs, but I'm looking for a featured blog plugin, to where I can designate certain blogs to populate.

I'm working on a free profile site, but there are perks to being a featured profile...one of which is being listed on the home page...

Any ideas?

7. dsader
    Posted 15 years ago #

About this Topic