The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Whistlebox - getwhistlebox.com (5 posts)

1. scottmotte
    Posted 17 years ago #

http://getwhistlebox.com

While it's still a work in progress, the blogging/cms aspect of things have been setup. As well, it includes 3 custom themes that I designed and built myself.

The market I am trying to tap into is "local politics". Whistlebox lets you, for free, quickly and easily setup your own political website so that you can more effectively serve your community.

Thanks for reading.
    http://getwhistlebox.com

2. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Cute - I like it.

If I could offer you some free advice - politics / opinion is all about interaction between people and, on a community blogging front, editorial.

I think that you;d do best to move away from the 'blog provision' focus and more into the huffington, commentisfree arena - the provision of the tools is still important but what's going on is what really matters.

Cheers, James

3. demonicume
    Posted 17 years ago #

yeah, if you wanna hook people - dont tout the tools and stuff they can use. you should put that somewhere internal - the geeks who want to know it will find it. but most people who troll political websites arent the most tech minded and arent likely to care how they post just as long as they can put out an opinion.

i recently started a sports blog for my buds who blogged with me on another site. i figured that since our original site used some of the same functionality that could be found in a wordpress the transition would be easy. this was not so. the admin menu bar was very confusing for some people. the concept of a 'page' versus a 'post' turned a lot of people off, too. they were used to a 'Blogger' experience and didnt wanna be bothered with options and spam blockers and activating plugins. if i knew how, i'd go in and make my users' experiences closer to Blogger. the options were simply too overwhelming.

4. scottmotte
    Posted 17 years ago #

To James: "What's going on is what really matters". Great comment James. Thank you. I see what you are saying. A redesign of the home page is probably in order - to display latest news posts from various blogs.

To Demonicume: Thanks for the insight and the contextual example. I will keep that in mind, and try to simplify the backend system as much as possible.

5. Farms2
    Posted 17 years ago #

Issa pleasure, glad to be of help - I think that when it comes to the kind of site that you;re looking at you're never going to be able (or want to be) entirely dynamic... I'd build in a lot of that but keep a nice editorial spot too (massive connection with featured writers for minimal work).

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by scottmotte
  • Latest reply from Farms2