The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

MAMP + Local A OK, but what about Dreamweaver? (10 posts)

1. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

So I finally suceeded in getting MAMP to play nice with MU.

Now I need to get Dreamweaver hooked up to the database that powers MU. The problem? Whenever I specify the location of the mysql server in dreamweaver I get errors referencing me back to an incorrect URL to my testing server.

And therein lies the problem. On the MAMP forums they say that you need to point dreamweaver to this url: http://localhost:8888/

So I thought switch that up with http://localhost:80/ and I should be set to gel. No go.

Then I thought maybe my modified etc/hosts file is mucking this about. So I went ahead and tried http://localhost.localdomain AND http://localhost.localdomain:80/.

And both were a no go. So I'm stuck. If anyone else has any advice on how to proceed I would be much obliged. The truth is getting MU setup locally is extremely helpful. Getting setup locally and running through dreamweaver is even better.

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm no help. That "D" word is a bad one in my books.

For me, it's all about the "Taco" baby. woot!

3. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

lol the taco? I use textwrangler on the mac, but it's no where near on par for features as DW

4. peiqinglong
    Posted 16 years ago #

I think luna is trying to say that while Dreamweaver has all those fancy features, there's nothing like writing from scratch...correct me if I'm wrong...

Textwrangler here also.

5. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

TW is great, no doubt about it, but DW is really the industry standard for web development and design.

At the risk of not getting into a flamewar, let me begin by saying I appreciate my lightweight apps just as much as the next guy.

My problem is I hate having to do browser compatibilty checks by launching Crossover Office to run IE 6.0 on my mac.

I would much rather just have Dreamweaver tell me what I need to do to fix the problem.

6. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

"but DW is really the industry standard for web development and design."

Bulls**t. Sorry, but seriously, it's only the "standard" for those lacking in talent.

@peiqinglong, yep. Scratch.

Believe it or not, writing from scratch actually takes less time. Why? Because you can do it right the first time, and not have to go back and edit what a crutch mucks up. And they all muck something up, just some worse than others. Take frontpage for example... what a P.O.S.

Oh, and "Taco" can be found here.

7. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

I think you raise an interesting point luna. These days many websites are built on DW by people who don't know or don't want to get their hands dirty in the language that power their site, be it PHP, ASP, or what have you.

What's my response to them? Great, no problem, whatever works for you.

I think people get too easily wrapped up when it comes to web publishing. There are web developers, and then there are web designers and then there are the mixes in between.

People who are more on the web-dev side tend to view the world of web publishing as an experience best left unadultered by tools such as DW. Whereas design geeks will always side with the program that gives them the WYSIWYG functionality they strive for.

But we needn't be so unilateral in our world view. Does it make sense to call DW a "crutch" that "mucks up" ? Sure. But only if you're looking at that small class of web designers.

From the Pow Web forums:

...Dreamweaver MX's PHP and ASP update/insert/delete/master detail server behaviors make it easier than ever to make your own custom CMS. It gives you ultimate control of layout and flow
    and also allows you to make your own server behaviors (for OOP like GD resizing and upload scripts) that you can use anywhere and you don't have to master someone elses variables and templateing to modify and add modules to an existing CMS.

To sum up, DW is an extremely powerful tool in the right hands. Now whether or not my hands are the right ones definitely remains to be seen, but one's thing for sure, I can't do anything without a solution to my testing server problem :)

8. mysorehead
    Posted 16 years ago #

try localhost:8889
    Check in the MAMP preferences what port mysql is running on - it would also be in your wp config file. You also may need to check the username and password that mysql is using and whther it allows access from domains other than localhost

I hoep this is helpful (but I know nothing about DW)

Richard

9. Steveorevo
    Posted 15 years ago #

There is the Dw extension called ThemeDreamer. Version .3 was released today and is packed with features. It can eliminate the time it takes to design by trial and error (slow). If you think your time is too valuable tediously verifying minute changes, then Dw as a design tool makes sense. With ThemeDreamer you don't have to configure a server or anything. Just open the theme file natively and get Design View WYSIWYG approximatons in realtime along with the ability to use Dw as it was supposed to be. Without, Dw is just another text editor for theme files.

http://www.themedreamer.com

10. cafespain
    Posted 15 years ago #

@Suleiman: Never used DreamWeaver but the Database location in MAMP is a little strange. Check in the MAMP admin to see what port it is using, MAMP as you prob now defaults to a non-standard port. Also the socket is different for it.

Dreamweaver MX's PHP and ASP update/insert/delete/master detail server behaviors make it easier than ever to make your own custom CMS. It gives you ultimate control of layout and flow
    and also allows you to make your own server behaviors (for OOP like GD resizing and upload scripts) that you can use anywhere and you don't have to master someone elses variables and templateing to modify and add modules to an existing CMS.

Tried Codeigniter? http://codeigniter.com/

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by suleiman
  • Latest reply from cafespain