The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

A Couple Questions before I Make the Leap to MU (7 posts)

1. Jonno99
    Posted 17 years ago #

Can I customize the footers and headers for each site...for example to add a counter and custom image?

Can a site be detached from an MU setup? If I have five sites all on their own domains and I want to sell move one of the sites off to another hosting account and back to regular WP, how difficult would that be?

Can a regular WordPress site be imported into an MU setup?

Thanks for your help.

2. peiqinglong
    Posted 17 years ago #

1) That shouldn't be a problem, you might have to develop conditional statements.

2) I don't think a site can be detached. A way around is to use the export feature, but you'll lose some database information. You could do a MySQL database export if you don't care that (depending on the user) they'll have wp1_, wp2_ prefixes in their standalone WP.

3) Kind of the same thing with #2, would have to do an import/export. Doing a MySQL database backup and import would be dangerous as regular WP only have wp_ prefixes and WPMu depends on wp_, wp1_, wp2_, etc.

3. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

2) I do see any database information being lost except for anything in an addon like stats. The posts, pages, and comments will all be there with an export in WordPress format. I wouldn't be doing a MySQL transfer because the database layout is different as mentioned. I'd stick with the internal method of import and export.

4. Jonno99
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks for the answers. With this statement...

"I'd stick with the internal method of import and export."

Are you saying that there is an import and export function built into MU. If yes, are they designed to do what I am asking in my questions above or more like in regular WP where you import from Blogger?

Thanks again for the help.

5. ceejayoz
    Posted 17 years ago #

The import/export function is as follows:

When you click the button below WordPress will create an XML file for you to save to your computer.

This format, which we call WordPress eXtended RSS or WXR, will contain your posts, comments, custom fields, and categories.

Not everything, but most of the really important stuff - a little extra work would be required to make it exactly like the old WPMU site, but it'd get done.

6. Jonno99
    Posted 17 years ago #

Very cool info, definitely worth it for me to get a test enviro set up and play around a bit.
    Thanks a lot,
    Jon

7. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

It's built into WPMu. Has been for a while now. For regular wordpress, it's been there from 2.1.x and up. 2.0.x was with a plugin.

About this Topic