The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Howto make links like: wordpressmu/tags/mytag? (8 posts)

1. BjornW
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi,

I've tried to explain what I want to achieve in a previous post (http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=4045), but apparently that one was too vague.

Anyway, I would like to be able to create links similar to this:

wordpressmu.test/tags/mytag

or

wordpressmu.test/sitewide/myparam

Can anyone help me out with this?

2. drmike
    Posted 17 years ago #

Um, what would these tags be used for? Something like sitewide tags maybe? There's a couple of solutions already posted here in the forums on how to do that.

If not, please explain as to what you;'re trying to do with these URLs.

3. BjornW
    Posted 17 years ago #

drmike,

What I am trying to do is to understand how I can add new url parameters for my plugins to perform certain actions.

Currently I have been working on a sitewide tagging system (as a lot of people lately have been doing) which is almost finished and a plugin which allows for a sitewide category menu. Both were requested by my client and are also sponsored by my client and will be made open under a GPL license. However, I can't seem to find a reliable way to create links for my plugins without hacking core files, which I prefer not to do unless my changes are committed back into the core and keep updating an easy process.

Basically this is what I want:

domain.tld/queryparameter/queryvalue

more or less the same as:

domain.tld/index.php?queryparameter=queryvalue

This would trigger a certain callback in my plugin and the action will be processed.

Is this possible or does Wordpress MU need a patch for this to be possible? I belief that this kind of functionality would allow plugin developers to enhance WP (MU) in all sorts of way and I would like to work on this with some guidance from this community.

I'm curious as to what other people think of this.

4. chmac
    Posted 16 years ago #

Any word on the plugin? Cheers Callum.

5. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Do a search (you must of since you found this thread) for 'sitewide tags' as it;s been discussed at great length.

6. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well, since the tag system from WP 2.3 just barely got into MU recently, I'd say the plugin they have is either now obsolete or will need a bit of a rewrite.

Or maybe soemone else has figured out the new system yet and has it sitewide.

7. theapparatus
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hadn't though of that and haven't had any feedback from our clients on the issue. Since it's rss based, I wouldn't think it would be an issue. I'll go ask though.

8. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

"Or maybe someone else has figured out the new system yet and has it sitewide."

*Whistles to self, and keeps on walking*

About this Topic