The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Download Error...1.9 MB only!!! (13 posts)

1. kennibc
    Posted 16 years ago #

If I upload a MPG video file (8MB) and add a link to a post, it will only allow me to download 1.9 MB of the file.

The interesting thing is that if I go to the directory where the file was uploaded, it has the full 8MB movie but will only allow 1.9 to be downloaded via the blog.

Any suggestions? I do not have the very latest MU install. I have the previous version.

2. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

My guess it got corrupted somehow. It's PHP. Never upload anything over a meg through it. It never works.

3. kennibc
    Posted 16 years ago #

Do I need to reinstall the entire server? That doesn't seem right.

It is NOT an issue uploading. Wordpress uploads the entire file. It is an issue when the visitor to the blog goes to download the video from a link in a post and it will only allow downloads 1.9 MB of an 8MB file.

4. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

No. Just realize that PHP isn't too great with large files passing though it. I'd delete the uplaoded file and get it there via ftp and try that.

5. kennibc
    Posted 16 years ago #

It uploads the whole file.

It is just when you want to download the file from the blog post.

6. kennibc
    Posted 16 years ago #

Would the PODPRESS plugin interfere with a file being downloaded from the Blog???

7. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

"It uploads the whole file.

It is just when you want to download the file from the blog post. "

Um, hello....

It MAY upload the entire file, but 3/4 of it seems to have been corrupted, as drmike suggested. Just because the filesize "looks" right, doesn't mean that the file isn't corrupted.

8. kennibc
    Posted 16 years ago #

It's not corrupt. That is the point. I can drag the file from the server to my desktop using AFS (apple share) and the file is 8MB and plays completely fine. On the server the properties are fine as well. It is only when the file is downloaded from the blog.

Luna,
    Don't you think if it was an issue with a file being corrupt that it would only be ONE FILE. This happens with EVERY FILE YOU UPLOAD. It will only allow you to download 1.9 MB. no matter the size of the file on the server.

Maybe I wasn't so clear about the issue. It is not limited to one file.

I am hesitant to blame this on PHP (and I don't want to reinstall with over 300 blogs running).

9. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

A Reinstall isn't necessary. It's probably something in PHP or Apache's config file somewhere that isn't set up properly.

Those are nothing more than a quick edit, and then restarting apache.

10. xiand0
    Blocked
    Posted 16 years ago #

I don't know WHY your file can't be downloaded, but I can tell you that the largest file uploaded to my Norwegian WPMU is 43 MB and that can be downloaded (and played using Anarchy Media Player) just fine.

I realize this information does not help you much, but at least you now know you can rule out that it's WPMU's fault (unless there really is a bug in WPMU versions prior to 1.2.1), so you should perhaps take a look at your LAMP settings.

11. kennibc
    Posted 16 years ago #

I run the server and other apps download just fine. That's why I was puzzled by this. I tried again last night and used a 15MB QT Mov file and it too only allows 1.9 MB.

Is there a setting in Apache that would limit downloads. I checked everything I could think of in the PHP.INI file and it is all set to 80MB.

Could this be due to the PodPress Plugin?

12. kennibc
    Posted 16 years ago #

Is anyone using the podpress plugin and having issues with downloads of movie files?

13. kennibc
    Posted 16 years ago #

OK. The first poster was correct, but it was not a corrupt Video file. It was something in PHP.

I just reinstalled PHP over the top of the previous install and the problem magically fixed itself!

I can now upload and download large video files using PHP.

Thanks
    Chris

About this Topic