The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

multiple domains? (6 posts)

1. stdio
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Hi,

Is there a way to let users choose which domain they want to sign up with? Let's say I have 3-4 domains and I want to let users choose a domain for their blogs. Know what I mean? Is this possible? If yes, how?

Thank you!

2. jaseone
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I don't think there is anything to handle that in the WPMU code and if you could do it then it would be a pretty ugly hack I think.

3. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

it would call for an EXTREMELY modified .htaccess file and some added code. But yeah, it could be done.

4. ballen
    Posted 18 years ago #

Why not just use 3-4 installs? Not the most elegant solution, but it will get your objective taken care of...

5. Korora
    Posted 18 years ago #

I don't think it is difficult. If you have for example two domains(aaa.com and bbb.com),
    1.Install WPMU on aaa.com.
    2.Configure apache of the server whose DNS is bbb.com to forward all requests to bbb.com to aaa.com(sorry for my bad English. and it was not I who configured apache so I don't know how to configure it to forward any requests...).
    3.Access aaa.com/wp-newblog.php and create a new blog(ex.aaa.com/new :My environment is no VHOST...).
    4.Login some old one with site admin account. Go to site admin->blogs and edit the new one. Change all aaa.com in the textboxes to bbb.com and update it. You can also get rid of the directry name with username if you want to set the new blog on the root of bbb.com.
    5.if you want to add more blogs with bbb.com, access bbb.com/wp-newblog.php and create new one. Now you don't need to edit domains from admin page any more.

If you get DB error at no.5, try to change values in blog-options. I don't think our environments on server are the same. So I just hope that this post gives you some hints...

6. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

Before I decided to not offer blogs on my site I had it set up where paid accounts were on one domain and free accounts on another. Kinda wish I had saved the code now as it would be useful to you all. Basicaly the htaccess file just directed everything to a script that decided whether or not the account was paid or free and then checked to see if they were trying to access the blog via the correct domain. you could use the same principal for pretty much anything.

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by stdio
  • Latest reply from andrewbillits