The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU / bbPress - nearly there but stuck on the last mile (4 posts)

1. marksw
    Posted 17 years ago #

Hi everyone,

I've spent the last four hours trying to get WPMU and bbPress working together; I'm nearly there.

I've installed the latest version of wpmu (1.2.1) in my site root (htdocs), and bbPress (0.8.1) in a subdirectory called 'forums'.

I've done the following:

• tweaked the bbPress config.php file ('htdocs/forums/config.php') file as suggested in various posts. Here are the main points:
      1. $bb_table_prefix = 'bb_';
      2. $bb->path = '/forums/';
      3. $bb->wp_table_prefix = 'wp_';
      4. $bb->cookiepath = '/';
      5. $bb->usercookie = 'wordpressuser';
      6. $bb->passcookie = 'wordpresspass';
    • installed the plugin wordpress-integration.0.7.zip in a folder called 'htdocs/forums/my-plugins' (which I had to create)
    • installed the plugin bbpress-integration.0.74.zip in a 'htdocs/wp-content/mu-plugins'

I now experience the following phenomena:

• A user can register on both parts of the site (this is good)
    • If the user registers in the forum, they get an error when logging in through the blog (something about not having permission to view this page) (this is bad)
    • You can't log out using the forum logout button (this is also bad)

Can anyone suggest what I may be doing wrong? I'm trying to put together a little community for my old school with a forum and blog hosting, and this combination seems like the perfect mix. I just wish I could get it working! My eyes are going a bit funny now, so time to take a break.

Thanks in advance for your suggestions :)

2. fawe
    Posted 17 years ago #

You could always try pointing the forum logout button to the main wpmu logout. For example,

/wp-login.php?action=logout&redirect_to=/forums/

For the second one, I think that if a user registers without a blog, they don't have permission to access the admin panel. It's weird that it's like this, but I think the wpmu team is working on it.

3. marksw
    Posted 17 years ago #

Thanks fawe. I thought about replacing the logout button, but wondered if I was just doing something wrong...

With the wpmu bit, a user can register through wordpress (or rather wpmu) but choose not to have a blog. This still allows them to access the admin panel for their account. It's only users who register through the forum that can't access their account via the blog.

I think the solution must be to disable (or cover up) everything to do with account creation in bbPress and just use wpmu for new account sign ups.

Thanks again,

Mark

4. hempsworth
    Posted 17 years ago #

First of all, thanks for running down what you did to achieve integration, I've been struggling with this recently as well.

"I think that if a user registers without a blog, they don't have permission to access the admin panel. It's weird that it's like this, but I think the wpmu team is working on it."

Donncha put this into the code a while back: http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/changeset/924 so now even users without blogs get access to their profile in WPMU!

Hope this helps

About this Topic

• Started 17 years ago by marksw
  • Latest reply from hempsworth