The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Virtual Subdomains Not Working (3 posts)

1. theotheragentm
    Posted 16 years ago #

I didn't really know how to search for this in the forums as I don't know the technical terms for what I am asking. Sorry if this is a repost.

So what I've figured out is that blogname.domain.com is virtual under WPMU. I've talked to my hosting provider and was told mod_rewrite is enabled and .htaccess files are used for instructions (had a host that only used php.ini files before).

I am unable to access blogname.domain.com for blogs I create. I don't know where to begin troubleshooting this. I have read through the README and followed the instructions, but I don't know where to go next. I don't even know what information I can provide to be helpful for people that can help me troubleshoot this.

If you have any suggestions or advice on how to tackle this problem, that would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

2. heyguy
    Posted 16 years ago #

You need to get wildcard subdomains going. Check the readme.txt included in the package.

3. theotheragentm
    Posted 16 years ago #

Awww, crap. This isn't my hosting, and I just found out that they don't allow wildcard DNS entries. It's my friend's and she doesn't intend to have more than six blogs. Is there a way to just redirect on the six subdomains? I don't imagine a lot of traffic, because this is a blog system for her family.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by theotheragentm
  • Latest reply from theotheragentm