The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Should I move to mu? (5 posts)

1. theillustratedlife
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Hey guys. I am a relatively new WP user (beginning of the month), and I'm wondering if I should move to mu. I have been making new sites (with independent WP installs) for all my friends who want one. If there was a better way to implement it, I'd definitely be interested. Are there any drawbacks? Can it create its own subdomains? Can a user be level 5 on his site, but just a commentor on everyone else's?

In short, can someone please give me the rundown on this? =D If I wanted to upgrade from multiple WP installs to one of mu, hown would I go about it?

Thanks!

2. jaseone
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I think if you need to ask if you should use WPMU or not then you shouldn't. How many friends are you talking about though?

But if they want to or you want them to maintain control over their blog with things like plugins and themes then single user WP is still the way to.

3. theillustratedlife
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

OK Thanks. I do want to use different themes across blogs and stuff, but I also want this to be scalable for growth. I just wanted to know more about mu.

Can you upgrade from single to multi?

4. jaseone
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Not in so many words, you'd have to do some hacking with exporting/importing as I don't believe there is any native way to import content from another Wordpress blog into a Wordpress blog.

5. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

you could pull off the moving of the posts and comments with some sql scripting fairly easily.

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by theillustratedlife
  • Latest reply from andrewbillits