The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

\ added to path (12 posts)

1. theillustratedlife
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I just tried to install WPMU for the first time. It is unusable though, because the paths are all screwed up. The blog keeps looking for http://www.slipabuck.com/\ while the email links me here: http://com\/slipabuck/wp-login.php

2. theillustratedlife
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

sorry that's slipabuck.com\/

3. techwench
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Did you install it without vhosts?

I had that same problem with directory install, as opposed to vhosts/wildcard dns.

You can go into phpmyadmin and change the domain and path in the wp_site table and the siteurl in the wp_*_options table. But, there's no guarantee that the rest of the site will work like it should.

The ideal way to install is with wildcard dns and vhosts.

4. theillustratedlife
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Thanks much. I don't remember if I did turn on vhosts or not. In either case, I didn't talk to the host about it, so it probably isn't enabled serverside.

I need to be careful installing this because I am considering upgrading from multiple WP installs, and I don't wanna fuckup the sites/server. I wish MU were better documented, cause it sounds like something I should be doing but it's also difficult to figure out. Hmmm...

5. theillustratedlife
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I cant't find anything about a \ path in phpMyAdmin. I checked both places as well as just browsing.

6. techwench
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

If you go into phpmyadmin and select the database used for wpmu, go to the wp_site table (on the left) and click on the "browse" tab at the top.

You'll see a field for domain and path.

If you installed it in the root directory, change the path value to: /

And change the domain value to: yourdomain.com (without http:// and without trailing slash).

Do the same for the wp_*_options table, with the siteurl option field.

7. theillustratedlife
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Thanks much. It was fucked up in the siteurl field, but that didn't solve the problem.

Are you aware that you are the ultimate WP goddess?

8. techwench
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I don't know about that...

Goddess, maybe...but certainly not "ultimate". ;)

9. theillustratedlife
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

OK, so I waited for a new build and started anew with it. wp-login worked this time, but I was still having path problems. I fixed them all in phpMyAdmin and moved everything out of wp-inst and back into the main directory. My first problem was a conflict with hashcash:

Fatal error: Cannot redeclare hashcash_random_string() (previously declared in C:\hshome\bell0360\slipabuck.com\wp-content\mu-plugins\wp-hashcash.php:104) in C:\hshome\bell0360\slipabuck.com\wp-newblog.inc.php on line 99

After removing hashcash, newblog loooked right, but it will not create any domains. I get these errors:

WordPress database error: [You have an error in your SQL syntax. Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near ''\'' at line 1]
    SELECT blog_id FROM wp_blogs WHERE domain = 'test.slipabuck.com' AND path = '\'

and

Warning! Sorry, that blog already exists!

I checked my DNS records, and *.slipabuck.com points back to slipabuck.com. I have some other sites set up at this address (brandon.slipabuck.com and nico.slipabuck.com) as independent WP installs, but I don't wanna migrate them til I get MU working properly.

Thanks for your help,
    Brenton

10. theillustratedlife
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

My ISP thinks I need to get a dedicated IP to do this...

11. jaseone
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Ugh... Windows... That is where those slash problems are coming from and why the below fails:

SELECT blog_id FROM wp_blogs WHERE domain = 'test.slipabuck.com' AND path = ''

Backslash is an escape character in MySQL (and PHP) so the above looks like an unterminated string containing an escaped single quote hence why it fails, it should have a double slash to fix that but I'm not sure about the right way to go about doing that.

Are you stuck with Windows hosting or can you move to a *nix server? I think you are the only one running on Windows so you might find support hard to come by.

As for the dedicated IP, I think you need that if you have other subdomains that you want to keep separate like you have although I'm not really sure.

12. theillustratedlife
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I'm splitting the hosting with someone who has a full-fledged business running on ASP. I wouldn't dare hastle him with a request to switch platforms (though as a lifelong Machead, I think I'd be more at ease in tcsh than cmd.exe any day of the week).

As far as subdomains, they are all full WP installs that I set up before I heard about mu. I would move them over to mu as soon as I got it working. It is, however, hosting other sites on the same machine (like theillustratedlife.com). Is that a problem?

About this Topic

• Started 18 years ago by theillustratedlife
  • Latest reply from theillustratedlife