The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

new antispam plugin (13 posts)

1. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

http://stepien.com.pl/2007/04/28/httpbl_wordpress_plugin/

this ties your blog to the honeypot project.
    seems a good idea, works, still trying though...

have it running from the mu-plugins folder

2. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

it seems that having put the plugin into mu-plugins folder, still every user has to register with honeypot and enter his own access key much like with the akismet service....

still waiting for an answer from the honeypot guys to see if using one access key for one wpmu isntall would be ok with them.

if so that plugi nneeds to be modified to store settings sitewide not per blog.

3. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Take a look at the latest Akismet code because they do that now.

- Edit the file and put the key in.
    - If variable exists, just transfer over the number into the variable instead of doing a get_option for it.

4. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

here is a first modified version: http://zice.ro/blog/2007/05/07/modified-honeypot-plugin/

If I get some feedback I'll also upload it unto wpmudev.org

still looking for the if is ! siteadmin statement,... maybe someone can help out there?

this version allows only the admin to set the options and the access key so that the plugin works for all blogs...

5. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm signed up with Project Honey pot and their stance is that you have to participate to take advantage of their services.. in other words unless you've installed a honey pot on your site don't expect to be able to use things like the httbl apache plugin.

Seems only fair to me - if you aren't helping them take down spammers why should you be able to use their services to avoid being spammed?

6. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

I already installed 3 honeypots and oen of them is available on all blogs, aka blogname.mydomain.com/honeypot so I do really spread them wide, also I have donated 2 mx records to help them...

the deal is obvious: I supply them with fresh data via honeypots and mx records and they allow me to access their spamer/harvester/etc. list to block those - seems more than fair

7. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

FYI, make sure that they said it was OK to use the same key. I asked the same thing a week or two ago, and was met with the answer of everyone needing a key to help spread the word about the project.

8. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

here is the thread: http://www.projecthoneypot.org/board/read.php?f=10&i=20&t=20

they said a wpmu install can use the same acces key as long as only me sees the key => thats why we modified the plugin so that I can enter the key and all other blogs will be protected without further implication of the blogowners

9. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

wow, this thng doesnt get along with Bad Behavior at all. :-(

10. Farms2
    Posted 16 years ago #

I heard a rumour BB is going to integrate this, in which case I'll wait for that.

No point asking my users to all get keys, 90% of them find this hard enough with Akismet.

11. Ovidiu
    Posted 16 years ago #

I also read a thread on BBs site stating they were going to integrate honeypot into BB...

besides this, BB and honeyput can't really work together right now as BB is stopping "bad" visitors (mainly bots) based on their agents IPs and combinations so actually only visitors who pass BB get to the honeypot and those should be 99% "good" visitors, so tehre is no point in trying to run both plugins together until they get to work together => integration into BB

@Farms
    I guess when it gets integrated into BB you'll need an access key too :-)

just my 2c

12. Farms2
    Posted 16 years ago #

I guess so - as long as I only need to get one, or I'm hacking the bugger out :)

13. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

@Ovidiu...

You would be correct in assuming so. At least that's the word I got from the HP dev's.

Also, yeah, having HP enabled and BB enabled at this time is pointless until BB adds in HP compatibility (which is being worked on).

About this Topic