The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Domains (TLD) for blogs (6 posts)

1. helmi
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi,

did anyone already manage to get a feature like on WP.com working: Assigning single Domains (Toplevel) to blogs.

So let's say WPMU works on domain.com with blog1.domain.com, blog2.domain.com beeing the blogs. Now i'd want to assign blogdomain1.com to blog1.domain.com and so on.

Was this already made possible for WPMU? Would be a great step forward for small multiblogenvironments i think.

Best,
    Frank

2. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yes, quite some time ago:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=3275

For reference I found it by searching for 'domain mapping' I mention that as there's a couple of threads in the forum discussing issues with it as well as another solution that you may want to check out.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

3. helmi
    Posted 16 years ago #

thanks mike - will have a look at that and additionally search the forums. though if anybody knows some other solution (also with other software if applicable) just let me know please.

4. helmi
    Posted 16 years ago #

hey doc - i've just been pointed to a funny one within the faq:

Does it support regular domains in addition to sub-domains?

Sure, to MU a domain is just a domain. You can configure it to respond to any top-level domains or subdomains.

I think in a theoretical manner this might be true but it's lacking a good frontend for it, isn't it?

maybe we could ask the guy who wrote the FAQ as he seems to know... :) (donncha?)

5. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

It's referring to where it's installed, I believe, but it is also true that it can support multiple domains as well but is missing a built-in front end management interface.

Essentially, while MU is the base for wp.com, they aren't going to give up all the goodies for it. There are somethings where if we want them, we have to code our own solution(s).

6. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

There's actually a plugin over at wpmudev.org for multi domains that you may want to give a try. I'm not big on bells and whistles so what I have is fine for me.

About this Topic