The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

frontpage for blogs (11 posts)

1. manuelsechi
    Posted 16 years ago #

hi all

first of all sorry for my bad english

i have installed WPMU, widgets, plugins, etc and everything go very well. I have http://www.mysite.com or mysite.com for the main blog, and blog1.mysite.com, blog2.mysite.com for all others.

now, for the main blog i'd like to make a page like http://www.wordpress.com, where tu put last opened blogs, last topics, last comments, etc...
    is there a plugin or a theme to do this

thanx all
    regards
    Manuel

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

You must write your own.

http://codex.wordpress.org/Templates

3. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Mu sets it up assuming that the main blog is going to be run with the 'home' theme. (ie the theme that sits in the home subdirectory.) If you create a home.php file for that theme, than that's what will show up when you first visit the site.

4. manuelsechi
    Posted 16 years ago #

so i just can define a theme for main site, disable that to other users and edit it...

thank you
    Manuel

5. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'd have to check but I thought the 'home' theme was in there as being hardcoded for home.php to work. I may be wrong though. I just go ahead and use it always to play it safe.

6. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I deleted the home theme, added my own, and I use templates like they're going out of style. :)

7. runnersblogs
    Posted 16 years ago #

So luna, when you say you deleted the "home" theme, basically you're saying that it's not required for a Wordpress.com style frontpage? Just basically create and modify home.php in whatever theme you select as the default for the main blog?

8. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

yeah, you might wanna do a check thru the wordpress template documentation. Mu will load any page labels default, home or index. you can play around with the .htacess or you can just go to the options menu and tell Mu what page to load first.

i'm beginning to see what lna/doc were saying about the search feature. now i'm going to go thru my old questions and see if i asked any like these.

9. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yepper. That's exactly what I said.

There may be a couple places in like signup or whatever that it might be hard coded. I don't remember off the top of my head. If there is, you'll know it off the bat.

Here's an example.

Add a theme to your site. Make sure if it is a duplicate theme of another on your site, that you edit the style sheet (the theme name) so you know it's your specific home theme.

Go into the site admin area, then select the main blog. On the right, add the theme so that blog can access it.

Activate the theme for the main blog as normal under presentation.

Start customizing.

As a not, by default activate and signup files don't include a call to a sidebar, so you may need to add it if it jacks up your theme.

From there, you can home.php, page template, and edit all you want.

The WP template system is so flexible, anything is possible. I frequently code up a full page template, including content, then create a page in the back end. Then select the template, give it a title (for the head section of the document) and a slug, and it's ready.

I've used this extensively on my blog, and I do mean extensively. Templates for pages, sub pages, all kinds of neat stuff. My code sings, and the blog dances a jig. :)

10. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

@demonicume

No need for htacces. Home php is all ya need. You can set up the options in the back, but be warned, you need to make 2 page templates and pages. One for use as home, and one for use as the blog.

The blog page content (in the back) can be empty, WP will take care of the rest. Pretty much for the posts/blog page you can dup index.php, make it a template, and use that.

11. runnersblogs
    Posted 16 years ago #

perfect. I'll get started and see where I end up in relation to your posts. Thanks for the fast reply.

Gino

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by manuelsechi
  • Latest reply from runnersblogs