The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU Must be way ahead of the rest in Multi Blogging. - BUT (9 posts)

1. mixle
    Blocked
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have just installed wpmu and think it is very good. I am still having problems that I can't manage to sort out i.e. no emails for new user, .making a blog in admin for another user puts that user in the admins blog, and so on.
    I have searched the forums and everybody is getting the same problems,
    With all the coding guru's on the forum can't some of you get together, and make a trouble free no more bugs version of all the php files that have to go into the root directory, so that the troublesome ones can be overwrote, as I think a lot of people on the forum are like me, when it comes to php coding we haven't got a clue.
    I am not on about the virtual host stuff and subdomains, a good hosting service can sort that side out.
    Think about it, put your heads together and make wpmu what it is intended to be,the best multi blogging system on the net.

2. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Actually the solution has been discussed many times. Do a search for the 'smtp plugin' here and install and configure it. The issue isn't php or WPMu but security settings on the box you;re on. I could have sworn that this solution was given nearly every time it came up. I know I answered a pair of threads on the subject within the last day or two on the issue.

I polietle suggest that you may want to get comfortable with PHP asap. Please remember that Mu is server level software. It's not something that you just install and forget about. When you start getting clients and they start asking you questions and expecting answers, you're going to be the one that has to provide solutions.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

3. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

maybe one of the older heads will comment later - but i must say that i dont really know where youre coming from. i'd never seen php prior to downloading mu. i admit there is very little in the way of encouragement around here - i have seen tighter communities. seems like tis the same 4 or 5 people who are cool. whenever you have a problem that seems simple the bouncers try to show you the door. its a good thing this is a free project because the marketing around here is counterproductive.

that being said - WPMU is free. youre gonna have to work for it. recently, people are panicking the moment they see an error message asking questions that could be answered with a little elbow grease and some google-fu. people arent even bothering to use the search feature, theyre just complaining about it. this community is relatively new. i've only ever seen 1 Mod here and i dont think he's being paid. rather than give some silly pep talk about how we can be better - like some no-good management type - you should volunteer to proof the install documentation. then you could work up an FAQ for the people who all seem to cack up their install.

i am no programmer. i'm a hardware support guy who's took a few programming classes back in the late 90's - and i think my site looks decent. i borrowed heavily from everyone here. i searched and tinkered and got a decent product, i think.

4. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

You get what you pay for. :)

This has come up many times, and the newbies who complain usually have an idea of how things work, and that's not how it is in the reality.

Read the forum, do your homework. Also? We can't volley to put everyone's good ideas into the whole program - the end result is not community-drive, it's dev driven. They're just nice enough to release it to the rest of us peons ;) who then test it and write all the docs. ;)

Also, people hop in here expect something as easy to add blogs to like Moveable Type. It's not. It's a blog farm software. If you don't have the skills to set it up, run it, and hack it the way you want, PLUS answer support emails from your user, you better learn it mighty fast (I did) or you'd be better off using something else.

(kinda reminds me of the beginning attitude when WP first came on the scene)

5. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Moveable Type is easy? Bloodly hell....

And you guys think I'm the expert around here. :)

6. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'll echo the folks above, and add my twist.

People see the success of WordPress.com, find out about MU, and get big pipe dreams of making quick fortune and fame.

WP is pretty easy to run, so MU must be, right? Wrong. Dead wrong. As Dr. Mike mentioned this is server level software, and not for people with a lack of advanced sever, php, and mysql knowledge. While you may think it wrong, or unfortunate, or whatever, that's just the way it is. It's not for noobs, idiots, or the faint of heart.

That's not to say it's not a good product. It certainly is. However, it's target audience is advanced. Very advanced.

There is no free lunch here. We do freely share ideas between us, but we don't spoon feed.

So, basically, it's either time to dig in a do some work, or find something else to pass the time.

7. mixle
    Blocked
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for all the replies to this post.I have altered the different php files etc to cover the different things mentioned on this forum, but I think you are all missing the main point of my question, maybe I didn't present it so that it could be understood. so I'll start again.(And yes I am determined to keep on using MU and not find something else to pass my time as been suggested. Patience is a virtue)

Say a newbie has installed MU got it running OK then finds bugs. He can search the forums here for hours and also google it as some one mentioned,(which I have done) and there must be hundreds of different solutions to these problems all over the forum, come on guys make it so there is one post with a FAQ and answers, so the coding guru's can give their answers to it.
    There isn't one as far as I know. So here goes.

Question 1.
    I have installed MU but I can't get emails sent to new users so that they can register and so get their username and password.

Question 2
    I can install new blogs in admin but the new blog goes onto the admin's dashboard and not on one of their own.

Question 3

I want to allow users the option of using html to write their posts. so that it puts an html button on the edit post options. I have added a coolplayer button and a flash button by reading forum posts and google. but It would be a very good thing to allow for an html button.(not bbcode)

Question 4

I will leave this blank so that other people who have problems can add their own questions to this post, thus making one post that explains the ins and outs of mu.

8. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

If you haven't found it yet, the smtp plugin is available over at http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com I found it while uploading that teacher video plugin I did a couple of days ago. Probably should install it myself although I haven't gotten any complaints nor bounces.

1) You need to debug this and see what the cause is. We can't help you until you do that and you're the only person who is able to. Open up the mail server's error logs and see what is occuring.

Just for reference, not to single you out, but please realize that this is pretty much a requirement for mu. Not solving issues but at the very least knowing where to look for debugging and error information.

2) How specifically are you installing this blogs? What procedure are you doing?

3) Users already can use HTML. bbcode isn't supported on the default install of mu. (And it;s a pain in the *cough* with regular wordpress)

9. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

I see exactly where you're coming from, I really do. Yes it would be nice to have docs, FAQ's, heck even some sort of help file or wiki...

The reality is we have one dev on this project (Donncha) and we have exactly one mod with the ability to make stickies (that would be dr. mike). Everyone else that is posting is on a self-directed volunteer basis.

It's up to the rest of us to document things, and lemme tell ya I'm paddling as fast as I can but there's only so many hours in a day, and many of us have to iron out issues on our own installs first.

Also, because this is server software and there are many little things that devs can't predict ahead of time, many of your suggested questions above just wouldn't apply to everyone.

Some handy links:
    oh HEY A WIKI (unofficial)-
    http://www.wpmuwiki.org/Main_Page
    proper forum search -
    http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/search.php

About this Topic