The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Activation and manual creation of blog not possible (27 posts)

1. spookie
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi,

I get the famous error 404 when I try to activate via e-mail a blog. File htaccess.dist looks like this:

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
    RewriteEngine On
    RewriteBase /

# Rewrite http://www.domain.com to domain.com
    RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} ^www\.(.*)
    RewriteRule ^(.*) http://%1/$1 [R,L]

#uploaded files
    RewriteRule ^(.*)?/?files/(.*) wp-content/blogs.php?file=$2 [L]

RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -f [OR]
    RewriteCond %{REQUEST_FILENAME} -d
    RewriteRule . - [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(wp-.*) $2 [L]
    RewriteRule ^([_0-9a-zA-Z-]+/)?(.*\.php)$ $2 [L]
    RewriteRule . index.php [L]

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°
    and activation link like this:
    http://blogname.mydomain.com/wpmu/wp-activate.php?key=615b2b4283e25b68

Then I have tried to create it manually but I get the following (civispla_wpmu is my database):

WordPress database error: [Table 'civispla_wpmu.wp_4_options' doesn't exist]
    SELECT option_value FROM wp_4_options WHERE option_name = 'wp_4_user_roles' LIMIT 1

SELECT option_value FROM wp_4_options WHERE option_name = 'blogname' LIMIT 1

SELECT option_value FROM wp_4_options WHERE option_name = 'siteurl' LIMIT 1

SELECT option_value FROM wp_4_options WHERE option_name = 'post_count' LIMIT 1

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/civispla/public_html/wpmu/wp-includes/wp-db.php:135) in /home/civispla/public_html/wpmu/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 334

Don't know what to do. Can anybody help? Let me know if you need more infos.

Thanks

2. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

http://blogname.mydomain.com/wpmu

Right there is your issue. You've installed teh software into a subdirectory and your trying to run subdomsins off of it. Can't do both. If you need to run subdomains, the software going into the root of the domain. I believe it says that in the install instructions.

3. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Didn't those SQL errors get fixed too?

4. spookie
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have created a subdomain called wpmu and copied all files inside the directory.I have chosen "subdomain" option in installation panel and got the same error. I give up...
    Thanks anyway for helping

5. nolageek
    Posted 16 years ago #

quitter.

Did you try reinstalling and making sure to use the correct 'subdomain' or 'sub-directory' option?

6. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

If the poster can't read the install instructions included in the download, gotta admit that WPMu is probably not for them.

7. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Agreed, Doc.

Unfortunately, MU isn't for everyone, as bad as they may think it is.

8. spookie
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm not a quitter, that's why, after a couple of days I decided not to give up (and by the way I have read the instructions...9.
    So:
    1) I have installed wpmu in the root directory
    2) Choosed the subdomain option
    3) Tried to manually create a blog

what I've got:

1) Email message stating that blog was created and web address what exactly what i have chosen
    2)This error message:
    ======================================
    WordPress database error: [Table 'civispla_wpmu.wp_3_options' doesn't exist]
    SELECT option_value FROM wp_3_options WHERE option_name = 'wp_3_user_roles' LIMIT 1

SELECT option_value FROM wp_3_options WHERE option_name = 'blogname' LIMIT 1

SELECT option_value FROM wp_3_options WHERE option_name = 'siteurl' LIMIT 1

SELECT option_value FROM wp_3_options WHERE option_name = 'post_count' LIMIT 1

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/civispla/public_html/wp-includes/wp-db.php:135) in /home/civispla/public_html/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 334
    ==========================================

But, if I go BACK with my browser and I refresh the admin page the blog is apperaring in the blog list. I have also checked with PhPmyadmin if 'civispla_wpmu.wp_3_options' table was there and it was.

I don't know how to configure Apache.

What I should do then. I'm lost...

9. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Wasn;t this bug fixed already???

10. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I thought so, but can't say for sure when, or if it didn't poke it's head back up.

11. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

I think I said that in your update, andrea. :)

12. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Gah, as you can see, the brain is not quite fully back yet.

13. spookie
    Posted 16 years ago #

OK. should I then wait for an update?

14. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well lets ask this. Did the blog get created? In the past the blog was getting created anyway and the error was moot.

Also is this occuring when the site admin create the blog or when someone signs up?

15. spookie
    Posted 16 years ago #

1) Yes, I get the error message listed above and, as I said, the blog is created (but not working).

2) As Admin I get that long SQL error. As user I get the link for activation with the chosen subdomain but when I follow the link I get: "address not found...etc". In this case blog is not created.

If you want to test it try to set up your own blog at http://www.civisplanet.com

16. ltkeng
    Posted 16 years ago #

Ok, drmike...

I set up WPmu as a subdirectory and when I go to the admin area to add a user, I get this...

WordPress database error: [Table 'vineyard_blog.wp_2_options' doesn't exist]
    SELECT option_value FROM wp_2_options WHERE option_name = 'wp_2_user_roles' LIMIT 1

SELECT option_value FROM wp_2_options WHERE option_name = 'blogname' LIMIT 1

SELECT option_value FROM wp_2_options WHERE option_name = 'siteurl' LIMIT 1

SELECT option_value FROM wp_2_options WHERE option_name = 'post_count' LIMIT 1

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /home/vineyard/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/wp-db.php:135) in /home/vineyard/public_html/wordpress/wp-includes/pluggable.php on line 334

A few things to note:

Any suggestions?

17. kp2575
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am getting the same error, I am running the multisite manager plug in and setting it up through there.

18. kp2575
    Posted 16 years ago #

actually the site set up... I am going to test it with other domains...

so the errors are just.. gunk?

19. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Preety much. I think you found the one thread where I didn't copy the answer to. Do a search for 'wp d e' spelled out I don't want to throw the search engine results any more than they are. Search for the three words in teh error starting with those letters as I copied all teh threads I could to teh fix for it.

20. lduong333
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi,

I'm having getting the 404 error from the activation emails. Also noticing that I don't actually see the subdomain created (when I browse it in my ftp browser).

Host says wildcards are set and php settings are fine.

However, I'm wondering if my problem is the domain root level.

The domain is pointing to an essentially an add-on domain/subdomain (I moved it over from an old host).

Is that just impossible to do with WPMU?

Thanks.

21. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yep.

Make sure the domain points to root and you install in the root. About half the time, anything else screw MU right up.

22. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

"I don't actually see the subdomain created (when I browse it in my ftp browser)."

That's because they're virtual, and served from the database.

23. lduong333
    Posted 16 years ago #

If I "add on" the domain, but stick it in the public_html "root" level, will that work?

24. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

No, it won't.

"That's because they're virtual, and served from the database."

Meaning: They don't physically exist.

25. lduong333
    Posted 16 years ago #

Sorry, my addon domain question was regarding the install itself and andrea_r's most recent post.

"Make sure the domain points to root and you install in the root. About half the time, anything else screw MU right up."

26. lduong333
    Posted 16 years ago #

So going back to my question:

If I "add on" the domain (via cpanel), but stick it in the public_html "root" level, will that work?

27. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

It should, yes, because that parked domain would point to the site root (along with your primary domain tied to your account).

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by spookie
  • Latest reply from lunabyte