The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WPMU on lunarpages (10 posts)

1. godrockzzz
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've search and searched but was unable to find the answer.

I'm on lunarpages and they dont allow wildcard domains. I'm wondering if it's possible to still use WPMU with wildcard domains if i get a dedicated IP and use an outside DNS service like easydns. I know this fixes the CNAME issue but will this fix the httpd.conf issue?

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

No, it won't.

If you want subdomains, you'll have to find another host.

httpd.conf is the Apache configuration file (named slightly different with Apache2), and if the virtual host in the config file is not modified then subdomains will not work.

We've discussed hosting quite a bit around here, so a search will probably help sort out an alternative.

3. heyguy
    Posted 16 years ago #

You don't want to do it on Lunarpages anyway. They are one of those hosts that aren't terribly lenient on resource "abuse," so if your site is at all successful they'll blame it all on Mu and drop you.

4. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Could of sworn I made a sticky of that mu friendly hosts thread we had. To be honest, do a search for synhosting as I know I mentioned mine in that thread.

5. godrockzzz
    Posted 16 years ago #

And unfortunately they offer no refund after 30 days, not even prorated so i'm stuck

6. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Could always reverse the changes with your bank or credit card provider. You may have a case.

7. kentgibson
    Posted 16 years ago #

like drmike always says (if I remember) go virtual, ie virtual private hosting. the cheapest I have seen and in my opinion they are good is server4you. for some reason they dont seem to have vps in the US, so you will have to sign up at their .de site (they are based in germany). their cheapest vps is 12 us dollars.

8. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

synhosting.com has three months free if you're coming from another host. That'll get you started. :)

9. heyguy
    Posted 16 years ago #

godrockzzz - How far out of your 30 days are you, and who did you talk to? Email me at swhguy [at] gmail.com if you want to discuss.

10. godrockzzz
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've had them since February and i'm on a year contract

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by godrockzzz
  • Latest reply from godrockzzz