The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Import Blogger - Simple Way (7 posts)

1. mercime
    Posted 16 years ago #

WPMU 1.2.1 - First of all, kudos to the developers and community for all your hard work!

When I couldn't import my blogger files via Manage > Import > Blogger no matter what, I remembered reading about importing blogger files another way at one of the multiblog software I was looking at:
    http://www.pivotlog.net/docs/doku.php?id=converting_from_other_weblog_tools#converting_from_blogger
    and I was able to create the text files for 4 different blogs and was successful in setting up in 4 different WPMU blogs.

The WPMU import of Greymatter files was a breeze for four other blogs. Sweet.

I now move on to solve my template/theme mysteries :-) Many thanks again to all.

2. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

When I couldn't import my blogger files via Manage > Import > Blogger no matter what

Might be better instead if you told us what issues you were having so we could fix the issue. Else you're not really fixing the problem but just making it worse. :)

3. mercime
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hello Dr. Mike. Guilty, I took the path of least resistance to reach my goal to import Blogger files asap. My challenge was to centralize all blogs of church ministries and set up additional blogs in one month on a software with a warning to "RUN, not WALK away" in it's README file :-)

When I imported Blogger files following WPMU instructions, I was able to gain access to Blogger files. WPMU showed the blogs I had there but also showed had 0/0 files. Still clicked import on each just in case, but response was that I must have downloaded the stuff already - did not!

I went to access individual blogs as well, and got in. But again, 0/0 posts showed in each of the blogs accessed, I still clicked on import button, still had same response, ay caramba!! Couldn't find answer to problem in forum so I prayed and looked for alternative solutions - when a door closes, another one opens - without touching WPMU codes and stuff.

And now I have all the blogger files in less than 30 minutes, have extra time to work on templates/themes before the month is up and time to beef up security.

It would be interesting to find out what went wrong with the Blogger import for future projects.

4. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Do us a favor and take a look at wp-admin/import/blogger.php at about line 85 and make sure that your file is looking for www2.blogger.com please.

See here for reference.

Thanks for following up by the way.

5. mercime
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thank you Dr. Mike. My file is correctly looking for the www2.blogger.com.

I don't know why I didn't figure it out sooner. I believe I know why the WPMU Blogger import didn't work for me. It's most ptobably because the WMPU Blogger import script is for importing blogs hosted by Blogger in blogspot.com. That's why posts show 0/0 in WPMU import screen. Our blogs are hosted in our server. We just used blogger.com for the posting and admin of those four blogs. Mystery solved?

Is there a WPMU Blogger import script for posts made in Blogger and hosted in own server? If not, then maybe the Simple Way I mentioned above will be a good solution for others. It worked perfectly for me :-)

Cheers.

6. billdennis5
    Posted 15 years ago #

I keep getting a message "Trouble signing in We were not able to gain access to your account. Try starting over."

my blogger import file DOES read www2.blogger.com

And, the blog that I'm trying to import the files to is authorized and access is granted, according the Blogger.

7. mercime
    Posted 15 years ago #

Hi billdennis5. Hope you solved this already.
    In any case, here's the solution I used in a more recent project where the posts were in blogger accounts and not on own server.
    Couldn't import files the Simple Way at all.
    1. So I set up a free account with wordpress.com and imported the blogger files there. I had to import 4x to get all posts. Couldn't get them all in one for some reason.
    2. Exported XML from wordpress.com
    3. Imported XML to a blog in WPMU install.
    4. Deleted wordpress.com account and Blogger account so that there won't be multiple instances of same content on the internet - affects your ranking.

About this Topic