The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Should I use MU? (10 posts)

1. rej1587
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

I'm interested in setting up a blog host for a targeted audience I have and I was originall just going to keep creating WP installations in Cpanel until someone linked me to here. I'm very weary about trying WPMU only because I have no experience with servers/php/apache and I would not be able to fix bugs and such on my own. Should I not even bother with WPMU? Or is it stable enough and updated enough now where an inexperienced person like myself can use it?

Thanks

2. jaseone
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Unfortunately it isn't stable enough to work out of the box yet and there will always be a certain level of responsibility on the server side of things to ensure things are kept in working order.

3. rej1587
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

:(...is it bad to create a new installation each time for a new blog?

4. VaamYob
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Assuming you have a good enough server (memory/hard drive), then the only advantage of mu over standard installations of wordpress is the code.
    You only have one set of code to update when a security issue is discovered, as opposed to having to update EVERY blog with a standard wordpress installation.

5. jaseone
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Just install using SVN branches (or do they call them tags in SVN? I forget now...), then updating is a piece of cake as long as you don't modify any core files. :)

6. rej1587
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

VaamYob - so installing them all with Fantastico is fine? And for updating, would I do that or would my host just update the server and then there's an option in fantastico to update? I'm quite a WP newbie :(.

Jaseone - I have no clue what you just said. I'd really appreciate if you could explain some.

I know I'm a little in over my head atm, but I'd like to learn.

7. VaamYob
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

As long as you have the disk space/database available, there's nothing wrong with having a separate instance per user.

I've never tried updating with fantastico so I don't know how easy that would be.

Jaseone is talking about you accessing the code directly from the wordpress servers and updating the wordpress installations that way.

8. rej1587
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Awesome, thanks :). Sorry for another question, but when/if MU becomes stable enough for an out of the box install will I be able to install it and switch all my users to it somehow?

Thanks

9. andrewbillits
    Posted 18 years ago #

not without a hassle. There would also probably be a bit of whinning from your users due to the fact that a few features have been cut due to security concerns.

10. rej1587
    Inactive
    Posted 18 years ago #

Alright, thanks for reply :).

Guess I'll just keep a bookmark of MUWP and check in every once in a while for a finished version and take it from there.

Thanks for help everyone.

About this Topic