The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Improved Wordpress to Wordpress Importer (2 posts)

1. zappoman
    Posted 16 years ago #

I've recently been fighting wordpress to wordpress importing and ended up rebuilding the plugin substantially.

You can find my plugin here:

http://heftagaub.wordpress.com/2007/05/26/improved-wordpress-to-wordpress-importer/

The main features of this plugin compared to the standard one included in wordpressmu are:

• Attachments - This importer will download and "insert" the actual image files of an attachment record. So for example, if you've uploaded images to your WordPress blog, then they will be listed as attachments. The normal importer will store these records but no do anything with the actual image. So you basically end up with dead links. Not anymore. Now if the image is an attachment, the importer will attempt to download it and insert it into the new blog. All of this downloading happens on your server, so you don't actually have the files download to your client machine.
    • Links - Links to your own blog are remapped. This is particularly important for image links to attachments (obviously) or else the attachment feature described above would be pretty whacked! But it also applies to cross links between your own blog posts. Seems like an obvious feature right? I thought so. This also applies to internal ping backs.
    • Spam Comments - For some reason the default importer decides to import comments tagged as spam. I guess I can imagine a few cases where this might make sense... but nah... I don't think so. So this importer will discard any comments marked as spam.
  2. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

zappo, you should jump on the wp-hackers mailing list and offer this up for future versions of the importer.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by zappoman
  • Latest reply from suleiman