The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WordPress MU Tips and Tricks (19 posts)

1. mixle
    Blocked
    Posted 16 years ago #

I am grateful to this forum I have learned a hell of a lot from it, but what I have noticed is that it's three steps forward and ten back before you find what you want.
    So I have started a Wordpress Tips and Tricks blog at

WordPress MU Tips and Tricks

I hope it helps.

2. heyguy
    Posted 16 years ago #

Nice idea. I'm not sure how I'd feel if you ripped off one of my posts word for word though.

3. partypageusa
    Posted 16 years ago #

I would probably feel violated.

4. mixle
    Blocked
    Posted 16 years ago #

Nice idea. I'm not sure how I'd feel if you ripped off one of my posts word for word though.

All posts on the site are linked to the original post and all the credit for them goes to the author and not to me.
    I just want to put all things mu into one basket.

5. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I wouldn't want my stuff on there. Not to be a dick, but that's just the way I feel about it.

6. heyguy
    Posted 16 years ago #

All posts on the site are linked to the original post and all the credit for them goes to the author and not to me.
    I just want to put all things mu into one basket.

You copied that "how to install Mu" post word for word, picture for picture, without permission. That's not cool, whether you link back to the op or not.

7. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Nope. !cool.

8. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

also uncool is how long it's taking to load your sites man!

It's time to maybe shift to a new host me thinks...

9. Farms2
    Posted 16 years ago #

Remove the ads, eh.

Is $0.04 p/week really worth it ;)

10. mixle
    Blocked
    Posted 16 years ago #

Site Slow, stick from the forum, ads gone, but who cares.

My beloved Derby County have just been promoted to the Premier League. The best football league in the world.
    Well done lads.

I have taken all comments into consideration and have acted accordingly sorry for any inconveniences.

11. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

There were ads, too? Sheesh.
    Now I definitely won't let any comments I've made be referenced. I'm not posting here to increase someones google ads.

12. mixle
    Blocked
    Posted 16 years ago #

There were ads, too? Sheesh.

Look for yourself. NO ads.

As WordPress MU is free.

"Why would you guys give this away?"

"Because we're strong believers in Open Source, and we know that the best things in life are free."

And as this forum is supposed to support MU and all that it stands for. Then all comments, requests, hacks etc posted here should belong in the public sector and automatically become open source.

I was led to believe that MU stood for Multi User.
    I think some people on here think that it stands for
    Mafiosa Unione

13. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

Am I the only one seeing replies in this thread as a bunch of misaligned bullets? I see that in a few other threads as well...a bbpress bug maybe?

Edit: Looks like an IE thing...shows fine in FF

14. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Formatting fixed. Not sure why teh original poster had to use li tags.

15. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

"And as this forum is supposed to support MU and all that it stands for. Then all comments, requests, hacks etc posted here should belong in the public sector and automatically become open source."

I disagree. While this is a discussion forum for MU, when someone makes a comment/post on this forum is does not fall underneath the same license/principle.

In fact, look it up. There have been tons of cases won on grounds that content posted on a forum or message board in fact remains the intellectual property of the writer. Same goes for a comment on a blog.

MU IS Multi-User.

However, you're trying to twist the fact that the software is open source and so therefore individuals comments and support from a forum are a part of that, just to make your position look better.

Some people care, some don't. Bottom line, is that swiping folks post off a forum for display on your own site without their permission is no better than swiping their RSS feeds to post their content to your site.

Bottom line is that it is still a copyright violation, even if the "intentions" are honest.

16. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

I disagree.

Actually we went through this over on wp.com after I had someone copy a thread out of there without permission and posted it on their blog. I wasn't too happy either but the staff member who looked into the issue said that they considered wordpress support forum posts to be under Creative Commons and releaseable with notice and link.

I didn't think much of it either actually and went after the host myself. :)

17. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

As a law student who just got an A on his Intellectual Property exam, I can tell you--though this doesn't constitute legal advice, since I'm not yet a licensed attorney--that dr.mike is correct, or at least would have been, if the footer of the Wordpress.com support site did not contain a "Copyright 2007 Automattic, Inc."

As the WordpressMU support forums do not contain any such Copyright notice, it is safe to assume that all content published here remains the property of the original poster. (i.e., lunabyte is correct in asserting there is zero connection with the "open source" nature of the WordpressMU software and posts made on the forums for MU.)

Because there was no "Click-Wrap" agreement on the registration page here: http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/register.php

And because there is no "Page-Wrap" agreement as on the wordpress.com footer, in any of the pages of this forum, content posted here is definitely protected.

But if you would like to be extra-sure, you could always indicate in each post that content you post is copyrighted. You need only put a copyright notice and the date of the post.

Whether, as I think mixle intended to point out initially, such forward assertion of one's property rights in a forum intended to provide support for open source software runs antagonistic to the "spirit" of open source, is a different question entirely. And admittedly and I tend to lean on mixle's side of the argument.

18. heyguy
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm not saying that mixle is wrong in trying to bring together many Mu sources into one place. I think that's a fine idea as it is sometimes diffcult to find stuff and there may be other neat toys you'd never be aware of without someone specifically pointing them out.

I could give a crap about ads or the site loading slow (seriously, who does your hosting?).

My problem in particular was the post (which has since been fixed) which was a word for word and picture for picture rip-off of someone else's painstaking work. That's poor blogging etiquette whether it's "legal" or in the "spirit of open source" or not. And, if you do want to get legal, the site that got ripped off does have one of those copyright blah blah all rights reserved things going on in the footer.

19. suleiman
    Posted 16 years ago #

I agree heyguy, copying "word for word" isn't really fair.

Patrick runs an excellent WPMU resources blog where he regularly talks about plugins and other work the community has put out. But an important note is that he doesn't simply copy word for word, he sums up his thoughts on the feature and provides links to the original author's blog/posting and sometimes a download link (aka free hosting).

About this Topic