The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

default settings (11 posts)

1. x0pa
    Posted 16 years ago #

is there a way to make the "Users must be registered and logged in to comment" setting true by default on all new blogs?

2. ekusteve
    Posted 16 years ago #

Yes.

Just open upgrade-schema.php (found in wp-admin) with a text editor and go to around line 293 and find the following:

add_option('comment_registration', 0);

Change the 0 to 1 like below:

add_option('comment_registration', 1);

Save the file. You may want to have a look around while you have the file open...there are a lot of other default settings you can change for newly created blogs as well.

Note that this will not change the setting on blogs that are already created. You will need to either log in and change them one-by-one or, you could execute an sql command on the database to change them all...that's a little involved, so make sure you know what you're doing before messing with the database.

Steve

3. x0pa
    Posted 16 years ago #

awesome thanks

4. ColourDreamer
    Posted 16 years ago #

How do I change the default links when a new blog is installed?

5. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks by the way for doing a search. If you pulled up a 2 month old thread, you must of. :)

We've actually discussed it before a couple of times. (Surprised that you found this thread instead of the others) It's a matter of editing the wpmu-functions.php file with the root of your site.

This is probably the best discussion on the topic. Please give it a read and see if it makes sense to you:

http://mu.wordpress.org/forums/topic.php?id=3627

If anyone gets bored, this would probably be a great, easy plugin if anyone wants to try it.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

6. Konstan
    Posted 16 years ago #

Well, since this thread is already revived I guess I can ask this here:

How can I change the editor users see using phpmyadmin? It there a query I can run across all the blogs I have to change from the visual editor to the other? Because blog on blog will take me months xD

7. Konstan
    Posted 16 years ago #

Oops, double post.

8. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

I actually have a script but it's not GPL'ed/ Open Sourced'ed so I can't give it out.

Easyest method of doing this would be to write up a short php script that runs through the entire wp_usermeta database and where the editor metakey (I forgot the name of it and I don't have a mu install handy to look it up) is found, change the record from '1' to '0'.

Hope this helps,
    -drmike

9. Konstan
    Posted 16 years ago #

Where'd you get the script? Custom made or something else?

10. drmiketemp
    Posted 16 years ago #

The actual code was written by one of my resellers who leases a box from me. It's not GPL'ed but I have permission to use it with my other hosting clients.

It's fairly simple code. Seriously. 12 lines plus the database login information.

11. Konstan
    Posted 16 years ago #

I know it must be simple, but its still too hard for me :P

I guess I will try and come up with something.

About this Topic