The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Godaddy (7 posts)

1. StarkReality
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have my hosting account with Godaddy (it's on a PHP server). I've already got the basic Wordpress blog loaded onto this account. I would like to delete this and use this version instead. When I installed Mu's software onto my hosting account, nothing happened.

I was therefore wondering if there was anyone on here who's succesfully managed to load this prog onto their Godaddy hosting account and could give me a step by step guide on how to do so?!

I'd be most greatful as I really would love to use this service.

I wish you well.
    Tor...

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

It looks like this is your first post here and i'm in a good mood.

Here are a couple of posts regarding godaddy:

GoDaddy Install Questions
    GoDaddy Installation

A good place to start here in the forums is the search page.

3. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

As a note, shared hosting is not recommended.

As one of the reg's here learned recently, by being shut off without notice, a lot of hosts are changing their TOS to not allow this type of software to be installed.

4. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

You may also want to define what you mean by "nothing happened" That doesn't tell us what you're seeing. Please remmeber that WPMu software is server level software and requires a certain level of technial knowhow. We shouldn't have to be asking you to check your error logs and making suggestions of how to debug or report problems.

5. StarkReality
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for the replies. Yeah, that was my first post. I'd only recently learnt of this prog and decided to go ahead and start using it once I got the domain for it.

Firstly I'd like to say that at this moment in time I'm not in a position to get a dedicated server package. For the time being I'm going to have to stick to using my shared hosting account.

What I meant by "nothing happened", is that when I loaded the file, I couldn't figure out where to go in order to gain access to it. I'm wondering if I uploaded it wrong! I'll have another play around with it and see what happens. Here's a basic question, what's the best way to upload all the various files that came to me in the main .zip file?

I wish you well.
    Tor...

6. sneef
    Posted 16 years ago #

You should upload the zip and then use cpanel or whatever you have on your server to unzip the files on the server, this is the best solution for uploading everything.

If this is too complex for you to follow, then MU is not for you.

7. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Also read the README.txt in the zip, please.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by StarkReality
  • Latest reply from andrea_r