The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

WP version used for MU & security patching (14 posts)

1. Peavy
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi guys,

I'm currently using the latest version of WP (2.2) and I find it really cool and usable.

I plan to run a multi-users blog system, and WP MU seems to be the best software to achieve this goal. I already installed it to evaluate its features and it's a great tool.

Nevertheless, I'm a bit worried about the security of WP MU.

You say that WP Mu shares 95 to 99 % of the original code of WP, but on which version of WP do you have based WP MU ?

Is the latest version of WP MU systematically based on the latest version of WP ? If no, on which version is it based ?

How do you react when a security patch is available for WP ? Do you apply it to WP MU ? In how many hours / days ?

Is WP MU developped in parallel of WP ? meaning that you develop new functions or integrate new technologies or features that are not (and possibly will be not) included in WP ?

I'm conscient that you do a great job, but when you look at the security holes patches frequently published on WP.org, I wouldn't like to use a WP MU based on a too old version of WP, having possibly security holes

Thanks for you answers !

Best regards,

Peavy

PS: is Wordpress.com based on WP Mu or is it a specific / commercial version of WP unreleased to the public ?

2. ceejayoz
    Posted 16 years ago #

My understanding is that patches to WordPress are quickly merged into WPMU. I'm not sure the exact time frame, but I suspect the critical changes are up within 24 hours in Subversion.

My understanding is also that WPMU is built on top of WP instead of in parallel - it's not a fork so much as it's a modification.

WordPress.com is WPMU with a number of proprietary changes, some of which are periodically released back to the community.

3. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

WPMu runs the current development code of wordpress. If you follow the trac and update from that, you're pretty much a version ahead of whats released feature wise and current with the security releases.

Donncha usually passes along the same day updates to the development code. Do note that he's just had a child so he's a bit behind.

4. Peavy
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for these answers.

If I correctly understand:

* WP.com is based on WPMU (with specific changes to suit WP.com needs)

* WPMU is always based on the current (meaning latest ?) development code of WP (is "developement code" meaning "based at least on the latest dev code used for the latest WP production version"

* Security patches / new versions of WP are generally integrated in a few hours / days

That's nice, I'm now more confident with a use in a production environment (accessible from the Internet) and the associated risks.

I was also confused between the version numbers between WP (2.2) and WPMU (1.2.1). For me, WPMU 1.2.1 meant it was based on the WP 1.2 code, and I was a bit frightened as this WP version has been published a long time ago.

For information, on http://trac.mu.wordpress.org/wiki/Installation you can see that the most current version is 1.1.1. It was released on Feb 27th, 2007, while on http://mu.wordpress.org/download/, the latest version was 1.2.1 (without any publication date).

Might be a good idea to base the WPMU version number on the WP version number used ?

Congratulations to Donncha and welcome to his kid !

Best regards,

Peavy

5. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

WP.com is based on WPMU (with specific changes to suit WP.com needs)

Yes.

#2 - development code meaning where the developers are currently at with the code that they're writing, not the most recent released to the public code. When something gets updated within the development code, it usually gets passed down by Donncha into the trac within a day or two. Donncha's been a little behind lately but that's usually true.

The date's been fixed. Sorry about that. I had forgotten I had that in there.

As to matching up the numbers, that probably wouldn't work. They don't match with that regular wordpress as we have features before that version does.

6. donncha
    Key Master
    Posted 16 years ago #

WPMU is up to revision 5109 of WordPress TRUNK plus a couple of extra bug fixes since, but with the introduction of the new tagging system I can't merge without the risk of introducing code that is still very much in development.

7. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Oh, while I'm thinking about it, I vote for a 1.2.2 release since you've got the widget code and the new post preview link in there and simply to get folks up to date.

8. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

I wanna see baby pictures too, darn it!

9. nims
    Posted 16 years ago #

Congrats donncha for the kid. Why dont you guys name and release the new version of WPMU on the name of donncha's kid :-)

It would be a pleasure to see a nicely integrated photo gallery with few of donncha's kids pics in it as a default / sample data ;-)

Really, I am serious, I had to switch to Drupal and Joomla for many of my clients or other photo galleries without a blog just bcos there is no provision of a nice reliable simple photogallery integrated with WPMU. I know there are many compatible third party galleries but lets face it, they are no good. So , its my kind and humble request to the developers of WP and WPMU to comeup with this integrated option. Cheers !!!

10. Farms2
    Posted 16 years ago #

I say 'whoooa' let's keep 1.2.1 - stability rocks :)

You can get sporadic baby pics here: http://inphotos.org/

11. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Congrats donncha for the kid. Why dont you guys name and release the new version of WPMU on the name of donncha's kid :-)

Was wondering that as well but you've also got to remember Maya's little one as well. (Not to take anything away from Donncha of course.)

edit: hey, she's back to blogging. Hasn't for quite some time.

12. Peavy
    Posted 16 years ago #

thanks for the information guys !

best regards

peavy

13. blouwagie
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'm totally confused on MU versus regular version numbers, to a point that I'm seriously considering going to another blog solution for internal use. We are plagued by the "need to enable cookies" false error. When I look at the HTML generated by WP MU, it shows 2.3.1, but when I look at the downloadable verions it is at 1.3.2. So what gives?

Thanks
    Bart

14. bloggus
    Posted 16 years ago #

WPMU version 1.3.2 uses WP 2.3.2 version.

About this Topic