The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Site Admin - Blogs - Edit - "Update Options" kills my blog (3 posts)

1. frankiejr
    Posted 16 years ago #

WordPress MU v1.2.2 (fresh install)
    Subdirectory-based
    No additional plugins
    Default theme
    Apache/2.2.3 (Win32)
    PHP/5.1.6

I just installed this new version tonight (no upgrade) to play around. I have tried reinstalling several times, trying different things on this page, and the problem can be reproduced 100% of the time.

The steps I take are as follows:

1. Create a new blog
    2. View the blog's homepage and a single post to verify it's working. I leave the window open so I know I'm using the correct URL on refresh.
    3. I go into Site Admin > Blogs > Edit (the new blog I just created)
    4. I can either make a simple change, like changing the spelling of blogname, or even no changes at all
    5. I click "Update Options »"
    6. Go back to the single post page, refresh, and my post has disappeared

At this point, all posts still show up on the homepage (even upon a hard refresh) but clicking on each link brings me a 404. New posts after this point act the same exact way.

This only happens on secondary blogs, not the main blog.

I tried searching for this in these forums, but I haven't been able to find any reference to it. Has anyone else seen this? Am I searching for the wrong terms?

If you need any additional info about my setup, just ask. I couldn't think of anything else to put up top there.

Thanks for any input...
    .frankiejr

2. jaredbangs
    Posted 16 years ago #

Sounds like a problem with permalinks getting screwed up.

Not sure why, but that's where I'd start looking, since the permalink structure (and the corresponding internal rewrite rules that the permalink structure generates) are stored as options and the error you're seeing does sound like a permalink / rewrite problem.

3. frankiejr
    Posted 16 years ago #

Okay, you were right.

Saving the Blog Options strips the beginning of the permalink structure out. This is the way it should be:

/blog/%year%/%monthnum%/%day%/%postname%/

And this is the way it saves it:

/%year%/%monthnum%/%day%/%postname%/

Entering the proper permalink structure in there works perfectly. Once you enter it in manually, it sticks and the problem doesn't happen any more.

Thanks for the input!

.frankiejr

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by frankiejr
  • Latest reply from frankiejr