The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

<!--more--> and ol tags (5 posts)

1. peiqinglong
    Posted 16 years ago #

This is not a MU specific issue, but figured I'll post here first. For the life of me, I cannot figure this out. So let's say I make a long page such as this.

I think it would be better to break it up into two or maybe three pages. But when I use the

<!--more-->
    tag inside of an ol tag, it breaks the semantic markup because where it separates, the first page is missing the closing ol tag and the on the second page is missing the opening ol tag. How can I do it so when a more tag is used in a ol tag, it will continue counting and not break the design?

2. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Use an unordered list, and open/close it as needed to generate pages, and just type the numbers in.

Other than that, it just don't "work" the way you're hoping.

3. peiqinglong
    Posted 16 years ago #

Doh, wishful thinking. Thanks luna!

4. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Not really, but you just have to think of it in a different scope.

Using a more or page tag it going to break things up, and any code needs to be completed (in terms of open tags) before adding in that functionality.

It would no different with any other open tag, really.

Like you can't put it in the middle of a paragraph tag, or blockquote, or whatever.

It might follow logically within what you're writing in the window, but when the post is rendered, it doesn't see it that way. It sees one of those tags as a stopping point.

More being seen as only render the post up to "this point" under "these conditions" (main page, category view, etc), and the page tag being literally that, and breaking the post across multiple pages.

So, you wouldn't have an html document called page1.html that has an ordered list started in it, then try to continue that in page2.html without closing and opening the tags (to use your question/situation as an example), so the same goes with a post.

Even though it's all one post, and you can see it all in the same window, at the same time that's not how it's always seen when it's pulled out of the database.

5. quenting
    Posted 16 years ago #

the "more" tag issue is really an annoying one i must say. I keep seeing users complain about their blog layout getting broken after they use this (although they are not able this comes from this problem, hence solve it by themselves).
    The way it should2 work is that the tinymce closgin/opening of paragraphs should trigger before and after the more tag like if it was 2 different posts. The way it happens is that the HTML is just cut there, with all "bold", "font", "paragraph", "table" and whatnot kept open. Thing is tinymce is a tricky beast to play with. I've managed to have it close open paragraphs on more tags, which is good enough to trigger the closing of all the "font" type of tags. However I haven't been able yet to make it work for open tables/lists (which are less critical though).

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by peiqinglong
  • Latest reply from quenting