The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Widgetbox widget for WPMU / WordPress (5 posts)

1. Farms
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hmmm... one thing that would save me a lot if hassle in terms of installing different widgets all the time for my users would be to have a widgetbox widget, that users could have several of (like text widgets) and could use to drop in any widgetbox creation.

And if someone made one I guess they could always insert a small link to themselves as the provider :) = a lot of sidebar links!

All the info needed for building something like this is here, I think:

http://docs.widgetbox.com/developers/partner-integration/

Email me or them for the dev password: james (at) incsub /dot/ org

Cheers, James

2. demonicume
    Posted 16 years ago #

there's a spring widget plugin thats very similar. the problem with that is that it doesnt actually give you a drag and drop widget - you have to make template changes to display it.

there's a text widget hack around here somewhere that'll allow you to paste java in a text widget. security risk, i know. but i was thinking that there oughta be a way to knock out a whitelist for widgetbox, springwidgets, etc. alas, not sure how to do that so it goes on the back burner.

3. SteveAtty
    Posted 16 years ago #

If people knew the name of the widget.php files you could have a dialog box with multiple input lines ... or populate a set of drop down lists with the names.

The widget code code have all the initialisation code for all the available extra widgets in it and you could just activate the ones the user has activated.

Hmmm...

Once its quietened down at work (we are moving a TB size database onto a 3 node Oracle 10g RAC) I might have a go at something like that.

4. Farms
    Posted 16 years ago #

A whitelist would be even better, although I noticed the WB allows you to make your own widgets.. wondering if that could be a potential security problem?

But surely if myspace etc. can run it then so can we.

Equal rights for WPMU sites!

(hey, that would work as a chant wouldn't it!)

5. Farms
    Posted 16 years ago #

BTW, here's the completed plugin :)

http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/project/Widgetbox-Widget

About this Topic