The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

Hosting Suggestion (23 posts)

1. mobiletechguy
    Posted 16 years ago #

On WordPress.org, there is a link to Hosting Services Suggestion/Recommendation. Is there something like this in WordPress MU??
    I like to provide blogging hosting services and want to know which web host provides such a service? I want something more cost-effective. Will VPS be more beneficial than high-end Shared host??
    I truly appreciate if someone can point me to the right direction

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

I'd go with a VPS because it's going to be easier to move a fairly large site from a VPS to a dedicate server than it would be to move the site from a shared hosting account.

If you're pretty comfortable with a specific distro you can probably get an unmanaged VPS and save a few bucks.

3. mobiletechguy
    Posted 16 years ago #

andrewbillits,

Thanks for the suggestion. BTW, if I am anticipating to host about 200-300 blogs, what is your recommendation of hosting criteria - such as RAM, Storage, Bandwidth - just ballpark to start.

thank,
    mtg

4. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hiya,

*Most* entry level VPS accounts come with 384MB Memory, 20GB of disk space, and 500 - 1000GBs of bandwidth. This should be perfectly adequate for 200-300 blogs. If you have the extra cash, you might want to get a bit more memory.

Note that what i've listed above would typically be found at one of the better known VPS/Hosting providers. Most of the cheaper providers oversell like crazy.

I hope this helps

5. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

512 RAM to start, at least. Whatever space/bandwith that goes with that. You'll probably never use it all before you star tapping out the RAM.

Trust me on this one. (My site is around 200-300 active blogs and growing)

Seconding Andrew's suggestion of a managed (even lightly) VPS.

6. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

When you start getting into VPS/VDS accounts that have that much RAM, and/or are managed, you're almost better off getting a dedicated box with 2G of RAM.

Granted, it won't be managed but me personally I think the benefits would outweigh the negative aspects.

For example, the box would probably be much better off to handle a digg or slashdot if it were to happen than if it were a VPS/VDS.

When you're talking about $80 or $100, what's another $25 or $30 to just get it done all the way?

7. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

Eh, well I'm growing slow and the site is more community-based and not likely to get that much of a traffic hit (ie, slashdot) even with any home-ed controversies that have come up, so I think it's a bit of a "it depends" issue. :D Or maybe I have my numbers confused. 256 then?

I'm happy with what I've got so far. Thankfully I'm not spending $80-$100 yet. And if I get to that point of need, I hope to have other things up & running that will pay for it.

8. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

256 sounds a little more reasonable.

:)

9. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

I have too many numbers in my head to remember. :D

10. judyschmitz
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi All - I'm looking for the same thing - serverbeach looks like a good deal, has anyone used them for this (of course, providing I can get the damn thing installed).

Andrea, you have MU installed, and you can create a new blog from your home page, in IE?

J

11. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

As a quick aside, I've been seeing adverts for a years free vps hosting for a 2 gig vps account. Now that I'm thinking about it, I can't find the company that was doing it.

Anyone remember who it was? I need an offsite DNS box asap as out tridary DNS site just went under. (Granted we don't need three dns boxes but I like them)

edit: I found it. Never mind.

12. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Serverbeach is fine.

I have several boxes there, and I don't have any complaints.

13. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

"Andrea, you have MU installed, and you can create a new blog from your home page, in IE?"

Well, I haven't created a new blog lately, but I've had 20 signups since the first of the month. A fair chunk of my users are using IE. I think I would've heard by now if people had issues on my setup.

I have installed the 1.2.1 version of MU on a new domain today, and the signup page works in an IE6 tab in FF.

futurehosting.biz if you want to try again. I'd also suggest snagging a copy of 1.2.1 (from wpmudev.org) instead of the latest if you *really* think that's the issue.

And we're really diverting from the topic here.

14. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

Feel like sharing Dr? :)

15. judyschmitz
    Posted 16 years ago #

Hi Andrea: true, it was diverting, but that response was totally awesome, at least I have somewhere to start to compare installs -- if I can install and get futurehosting to work, then its a GD thing, if not, then Im just a complete dodo. My first tries were with 1.2.1...prior to the 1.2.2 release.

I'm kind of astonished I have to say, in the past week I've done 2 oscommerce installs, on three diff ISP's and just not had the issues - is the security or code so much more ocmplex here?

J

16. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

Sharing what? They don't allow wildcard dns and were rathe rput off that I questioned their "We're flexable" statement.

17. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Heh, more like...

"You'll be flexible if you use us." Aka: bend over, here it comes.

18. andrea_r
    Posted 16 years ago #

"is the security or code so much more complex here?"

in some ways, yes. But nothing related to the issue you were having.

19. drmike
    Posted 16 years ago #

I think wp likes having GD2 installed and some hosts are still on GD1.

Comes up on occasion in the wp.org forums.

20. judyschmitz
    Posted 16 years ago #

Then I went back, and tried again. And it no longer works. How could that be?

Now I went back, and guess what...it did work. I can ge tto the signup page. Now that generates an error when I try and create a blog. Ah well off to the salt mines again!

Judy

21. wild26
    Posted 16 years ago #

So hosting a MU install on GoDaddy wouldn't be such a good idea, then?

22. lunabyte
    Posted 16 years ago #

Absolutely not.

As I mentioned to your other post, the following are great:

ServerBeach.com
    SoftLayer.com

MediaTemple.net
    ASmallOrange.com

I will note that I think someone had an issue with ASO, but the first three have been met with much success.

23. mobiletechguy
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for all your help and info.

About this Topic

• Started 16 years ago by mobiletechguy
  • Latest reply from mobiletechguy