The MU forums have moved to WordPress.org

[sticky] forum FAQ suggestions (46 posts)

1. mrjcleaver
    Posted 16 years ago #

Did you look at the wiki? I answered plenty in there.

Further I progressively built out all of those 20 pages (http://codex.wordpress.org/Category:WPMU) and built out the http://codex.wordpress.org/index.php?title=WPMU_FAQs&oldid=31619

We even had a wiki dedicated to wpmu at http://www.wpmuwiki.org/ but that was never given the prominence it needed to have a chance at being effective. The domain expired. No one updated http://codex.wordpress.org/index.php?title=WPMU_FAQs to restore the content.

Adding more to pages and pages of duplicated threads is a waste of everyone's time, including yours, Mike. So I'm not going to do it.

I will be very happy to add to something sane though: just give us a decent platform to do it from. It does not have to be a wiki.

2. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

In regards to wpmuwiki.org, the domain hasn't expired and the database has been left untouched.

As i've mentioned before, i'll host a wiki/doc site if someone would like to be the admin.

I just don't have the time.

Thanks,
    Andrew

3. mrjcleaver
    Posted 16 years ago #

Thanks for the clarification, Andrew.

When you say admin, are you talking about gardening the content or administrating the configuration of the server software?

4. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

Gardening the content. Of course that person would also have any other access they needed.

5. mrjcleaver
    Posted 16 years ago #

In which case, the problem lies in the concept that there should be a central administrator.

Wikis change the nature of role boundaries. Unlike on these forums, where a few people (if any) are bestowed superpowers such as "edit existing content" and the many must pester the few to get things changed, on a wiki the task power is bestowed to all. Absolutely anyone can delete content, or move it around to find the optimal place.

This improves the Signal:Noise ratio because anyone complaining is perfectly empowered to do as much as they want to about it. This means clarification gets inserted exactly where it is needed, not 3 pages later on some out of control thread.

If everyone does a little, a lot gets done and no one is exhausted in the process.

Contrast that if I want to reorganize content on the forum then somehow I would need superpowers to delete stuff, and assuming I could be bothered to get them, as soon as I make a change, someone is going to get upset that I have deleted their content.

On a wiki no one gets upset. Nothing is deleted, because its in the history.

I'm sure that few people would disagree that Wikipedia has high quality, in depth content. That's because they share the powers of generating editing and refactoring content to continually improve it.

Who else would be for applying wiki processes here?

6. andrewbillits
    Posted 16 years ago #

mrjcleaver,

If you'd like to discuss this further, feel free to contact me via email.

I'd like to see wpmuwiki.org up and running again if you would like to discuss how it should be set up then i'm all ears.

thanks,
    Andrew

7. mrjcleaver
    Posted 16 years ago #

(I contacted Andrew a few days ago, asking the Codex pages to be listed on WPMUDEV, either on the menu bar, or on the http://wpmudevorg.wordpress.com/faq-general.php). Hopefully it will arrive soon.

8. nolageek
    Posted 16 years ago #

> Doesn't A Small Orange support MU too?

Yes they do. I'm actually using the 'small' plan on blognola.org (it's a small userbase now) and they've been wonderful. Practically bent over backwards to help me out.

9. mrmarko
    Posted 16 years ago #

"Q: Are there any recommended hosts?"

I searched, meaning "thoroughly searched for days" for a VPS that was affordable and reputable. I found and am now using knownhost.com for my VPS. I assure you that WPMU can run on the VPS's they offer, I don't know about their shared hosting. I highly suggest(like some others!) that if you are serious about MU, that you step away from shared hosting... it becomes such a hassle... the more you want to do, the more limited it is.

10. 0adam Faith
    Posted 15 years ago #

1.Does WordPress MU support spam protection?

2.How much code does it share with regular WordPress?

Thanks advance,

Adam Faith

11. binh
    Posted 15 years ago #

Q: Why Wordpress is your choice?
    Q: Why Wordpress is better than other CMS for blogging?
    Q: Is WMPU only for multiple users?
    A: No, single user multiple blog is fine.

Sigh... i wish I have more time to spend on this.

12. adria.richards
    Posted 15 years ago #

• How to monitor traffic?
    • How to transfer from a Wordpress.com to Wordpress.org
  13. pumpkinpatch
    Posted 15 years ago #

What I sometimes do to mess around with these spammers is to visit their site with FF, add a bunch of stuff (like in the thousands) to my shopping cart, go all the way to check-out and quit. Then use another browser, say IE, do the same thing, and then with Opera.
    It messes with their database, shows stuff as unavailable, site admin has to manually clear out abandoned carts...

14. fusspflege-ulm
    Blocked
    Posted 15 years ago #

hello @ all,
    in my opinion should be only judiciously contents in FAQ. So you should no written contents, which have no interests from the users. Only general informations e.g. answers about "how can I register here?, etc." should be in FAQ.

15. D.Dey
    Posted 15 years ago #

uet)hBh$NOCb

D.Dey S>A>Hussain ,MN Islam Work in ....................
    Lab

16. D.Dey
    Posted 15 years ago #

D.Dey S.A.Hussain

Working in thin film lab

About this Topic